V8BoatBuilder

Transplanted Bostonian
Reaction score
City, State
East Brunswick, NJ
Year, Model & Trim Level
97 Mountaineer V8 4x4
Let's talk alignments!

Took the truck into Firestone for an alignment today. I purchased a lifetime alignment package this past summer, so I can take it in whenever I want now. I think it's going to pay off, as this is already alignment #2 with the plan. This is now the third time the truck has been aligned since the TT/31s install (first time was free, w/tire purchase), yet the first time the alignment tech has checked/changed the camber!! Before today's alignment, the adjustment shims were pointing vertical. Now they're cranked over, and on the printout the tech noted: 'Truck was lifted, unable to bring camber into specs.' About time they noticed! WTF did the previous techs do on those two sub-standard alignments?!?!?!

Here are the alignment specs for those following at home:
Left Front Camber: -1.12
Right Front Camber: -1.13
Specified Camber Range: -1.00 - 0.00

Right Front Toe: 0.15
Left Front Toe: 0.15
Specified Toe Rane: 0.03 - 0.28

Cross Camber: 0.01
Specified Toe Range: -0.70 - 0.70
Total Toe: 0.30
Specified Toe Range: 0.05 - 0.55

What are your alignment numbers? Lifted, lowered, stock height... Where do you have your alignments done, and how often. I'm curious.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I'll let you know, Mine goes in Friday after lowering 1 inch.

i just bought the lifetime alignment at firestone too. i just got the X about 6 weeks ago and did the TT/AAL and 265/75s and got it aligned then, i'll probably take it back in in a few months just to have it checked

How much do these lifetime alignments cost? I'll be needing one soon and I'd rather pay for a lifetime deal if it's cost effective as opposed to a regular one-time alignment.

Lee

I paid $130 over the summer, and $0.00 the other day.

I had an allignment done about a year ago on my 92 4x4 but they wouldnt do much because they said i need new coil springs and a bunch of other parts that added up $900 :fire: . but here are the numbers

Left Front: Right Front:

Camber -0.7 -0.7
Caster 5.0 4.1
Toe .02 .02

Specified Range:
Camber: -0.3 to 0.8
Caster: 2.0 to 7.0
Toe: -0.05 to 0.08

I just had mine done at Tires Plus and did the 3 year deal for $100. Here are my specs:

LF: RF: LR: RR:

Camber: -0.6 -1.3 -0.7 -1.7
Caster: 5.5 6.1
Toe: 0.07 0.09 0.06 0.03

Total Toe (FRT): .16 Steer Ahead: -0.01
Total Toe (Rear): 0.09 Thrust Angle: 0.01

I also finally got to look under the truck on a lift. I never knew that the IRS had tie rods, that's a new one for me.

As of 1-5-05

LF RF
-0.9 1.1 Camber
3.4 4.0 Caster
0.12 0.03 Toe

Cross camber 0.2
Cross caster -0.6
Total toe 0.15

*** Stock hight, with a tortion twist to level.

Monmix, since our suspentions are mostly the same: any clue why your alignment checked the caster, and mine didn't?

Also, what is the significance of "Total Toe?" Your's is 0.15, mine's double at 0.30.

total toe is just the relation between the left and right tires toe measurements.

-Drew

I dunno.
Maybe becuuse I never, never, never, never, never, never off road

ExplorerDMB said:
total toe is just the relation between the left and right tires toe measurements.

-Drew

Right... its the two of them added together. But what I meant was, how does that translate into handling and/or tire wear?

MONMIX said:
I dunno.
Maybe becuuse I never, never, never, never, never, never off road

Haha... we should ask Gerald what his alignment #s are, with the bent lower x-member!!

Aaron, you have toe out(+), which means your truck should handle a little better than spec. But it will tend to wander more than if it had a normal negative toe amount.

I paid $40 +tax for my first alignment two years ago. Last fall I lowered the front to be level, and changed to 30.5" 18's. I paid another $40 plus tax then. I made sure that I got equal camber side to side, and added about 120 pounds to the driver's seat during the alignment.

Have you installed the four camber eccentric washers? They allow more range of camber adjustment. Pay them to install them, they are hell to do yourself. Good luck,
Don

My Alignment #s: "You need the camber adjuster kit, that will be $200". My repsonse, bye. :) My camber kit will be in tomorrow at 7 30 at Advance Auto for $28. :D I will be taking it to a specialty place after I install them for the alignment. I wasn't happy with the origional alignment Ford had done on Marshmellow. Until then, its limited driving for me :(

Todd, ask them how much extra they will need to install the camber washers for you. I bet the cost would be worth it. They are really too much trouble to do yourself, versus letting them do it. I have done it, but I won't do it again. Good luck,
Don

It looks simple and straight forward. I've talked to a few who've done it and said its an hour job. I'm gonna give it a try though.

GREAT THREAD. Pls keep this going ... I'm a 50-y/o taking all those auto shop courses I was denied as a kid. Am now in a steering & suspension course ... we're just about at the point where we're gonna get to put our own vehicles on the Hunter and start learning about FEA.

QUESTION: I've been searching high & low for factory ride height specs, can't find 'em. Searched the service manual, all they'll give you is "lean" type information ((L side + R side)/2 <= tolerance). Is there an absolute curb (or chassis to control arm) riding height spec that anybody knows about?

TIA,
--Jim--

I believe ride heights are completely ignored by alignment shops. I think that they just expect to work on unmodified factory height vehicles.

Whenever a modified vehicle comes along, they might refuse to work on it. Usually they simply apply the factory alignment specs, note the modifications, and give no guarantee.
Good luck,
Don

FWIW I am at stock height other than a TT to level things out.
32 inches at each and every wheel well. +/- 1/2inch

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

MONMIX said:
FWIW I am at stock height other than a TT to level things out.
32 inches at each and every wheel well. +/- 1/2inch

My front is at 33 inches. Passanger side was a little higher. Rear was 32. All are 32. And I have my cams to install tonite :)

Back