• Register Today It's free!

all 2000 4.0 sohc owners

project92

Reaction score
City, State
missouri
Year, Model & Trim Level
00E.B.,93 xlt 92 xlt
how many of you have done a brown wire mod?
did it help in milage ? drivability?

reson I ask my wife just about totaled her 00 ex cause of this "control trac" she got of the edge of the road and as she cam back on the road the control trac kick in and shot her across the road she got it back but was lucky... had the same thing happen in my 97 on snow..

so Im think of doing the brown wire mod but it has to be done "classy" its the wifes ride so it going to have to look factory...

also what do you get for milage this thing is great compared to the old ohv motor... usally 20 mpg on the digital (I know they are usally 1-2 mpg off) but this is countyr driving up big hills curves hardly ever getting to hit 60 mph so Im happy

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Brown wire mod

What is the brown wire mod? Does it have anything to do with increased mileage?

I don't know, since I have not done it to mine, but I get about 20 around here in these hills. That is unless I have my tuner program set to the 93 oca\tane and a heavy right foot. :p

I have done the BWM, but I leave it turned on 99% of the time.
Here is the switch, it is the silver throw switch.

Attachments

• c-console.jpg
    c-console.jpg
    64.1 KB · Views: 280

I know thats a CD changer, but what else do you have hidden in there? Cool toys I assume.

How fast was the wife going? I believe the trac lock won't kick in over 30 mph and even then it's only something like 3% to the front wheel(s).

Are you positive she did not oversteer it? My cousin rolled a small (foreign) pickup by doing that once. So far I have not had the control-trac do anything unpredicitable or even noticed it doing anything for that matter.

I do know that I can't spin the rear tires on pavement though. Believe me I've tried.

yeah.. control trac.. or.. auto 4wheel. whatever i have(if thers a dfirence) is great for racing in adverse conditions(ie. snow, rain etc.) thats the only time i know its there. thats the only use i've found for it. but with 33's everything beats me now.

Brian_B said:
Are you positive she did not oversteer it? My cousin rolled a small (foreign) pickup by doing that once. So far I have not had the control-trac do anything unpredicitable or even noticed it doing anything for that matter.

I do know that I can't spin the rear tires on pavement though. Believe me I've tried.

yep I have tried on both trucks to spin tire won't work I luv it in the rain at a stop light on a hill soooo sweet to take off like a rocket while others spin.. :confused:

the control trac will kick in above 30 mph I've had it happen to me on snow here's a little test for you all to try

next snow find a large feild take your ex out in it go about 40 mph (make sure you know the feild first) kick passing gear down and see when the back while spin's the front dont kick in I look for your answers in march :D :D

once it kick in when my back tire slipped off the highway in a curve (semi's run off it all the time) when the back wheel slipped it shot me straight across the road in the ditch

other times is my father in law lives 4 miles down a gravel road with lots of Hills (you guys call them mouantians) any way climbing one of those hills doing about 40 get halfway up and the rear breaks lose (washboards on the snow from people spinning) stupid front kicks in and almost ditches me..
these are just a few example's I had of my control trac kick in at highway speeds...
now I have driven 2wd in snow until I bought my first 4x4 in 91 I also race stock cars so I do know how to "adjust" for a spin or slide...

don't get me wrong I love my control trac to a piont but sometimes I miss the push button eas of my 93 explorer.. ;)

Like I can find a field of snow down here? Last year we had about 2" total for the year (might be exagerating, but not by much) :p

I really don't know how it will react if we get any (purchased in January). I will find out I guess. :)

when you get a real snow down there try these in auto see what fun you have... got that intake on yet?

project92 said:
when you get a real snow down there try these in auto see what fun you have... got that intake on yet?

When and if we do, you can bet I will. :D We had a freak storm in 92 (I think) and we had a ton of snow (close to 2'). That was so much fun pulling out stuck toyotas with my ranger. ;)

Yes, the mac is on. Sounds cool too. :thumbsup: Mom keeps asking me whats wrong with my wheel bearings (or something). She hears a noise when I get on the gas and has no idea what it is. :rolleyes:

hehhehe just waiting to do mods on mine soon either the 93 or the 00

What the heck is a brown wire mod? Disabling the AWD?

No. It won't work on an AWD. Its for ours that have the control-trac. It disables it and gives us true 2WD when we want it. Note: I have not done it yet though.

Peter: Your E-mail is blocked, so I will post here. There is no secret to geting 20 MPG on the highway. Mine is stock. It is tuned up [/B]very well[/B]. I have a hard time telling that its running when ideling. I have to look at the tach. I just bought it though.

The Mac intake has nothing to do with mileage. When I have the performance tunes in (microtuner) I do not get that kind of mileage. My right foot is too heavy.

If your looking for better mileage than you are getting, look up aldive's "quest for 30" thread.

Brian_B said:
I know thats a CD changer, but what else do you have hidden in there? Cool toys I assume.

Well there is the extra magazine, and the rotery knob for my Bama chip.

No other secrets ;)

Sorry, I mis-stated my system. Some model years had "Control Trac" on the liftgate Explorer nameplate, but mine does not. I assumed when I got the car that since it didn't say it "Control Trac" it must have been something else. A quick look through the owner's manual says that it is Control Trac.

Anyway, what is the brown wire mod and are there any benefits?

Regards

Back