All Door "Unlock" switches work but not lock switch, same with keypad! | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

All Door "Unlock" switches work but not lock switch, same with keypad!

williams.cory

Reaction score
City, State
Rust Filled, Michigan
Year, Model & Trim Level
'97 5.0
I have a 1997 explorer Eddie Bauer....The driver, passenger, rear cargo area and keypad switches all work for unlocking the doors, but they do not work to lock them, all exept the back cargo area switch which works to lock them....:roll:

Why is this?? I toor the door apart and traced the wire to make sure there was no break in the lines. If I touch my testlight to the "lock" prong on the back of the master control switchs then all the doors will unlock...fuses are good.

Should I run some wire from the back cargo area switch to the front and hook that wire to the front switches? How can I fix this?

Thanks!!

:p::p:

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

You have a broken splice in the left rear passenger side cable "raceway".... trace the PK/Y (PK/V? hard to read diagram).

I'll have to check that out tomarrow, hopefully thats the problem.....

Thanks for the info

will this work for me as well? driver and cargo both lock and unlock, but keypad/pass door and remotes won't lock... I hit the lock button on the remote twice and get the 'honk' but no lock...

they all "travel" thru the splice area so some or none may be good. Only the back cargo switch goes direct.

Thanks so much for your help!!!

Its fixed!! YAY! Sure enough the wire was broken!

You have a broken splice in the left rear passenger side cable "raceway".... trace the PK/Y (PK/V? hard to read diagram).
not to sound dumb... but where exactly are you talking about? the harness under the trim? and do you by chance know what color?

not to sound dumb... but where exactly are you talking about? the harness under the trim? and do you by chance know what color?

The wire that is broken is Pink with a yellow stripe....On drivers side, rear seat. Fold the seat down and open the little "flap" to where the bar is to get the spare tire down. Look directly down to where there are a bunch of wires and follow it down to the floor to where there is like a T. Its broke right in that section.

well I'll be damned... it was corroded... interesting way of ford to bridge 3 wires into one w/o some grease of some sort... Thanks all... now to get the park lights to blink when I hit the locks and unlocks... Two questions, I know I've seen them both in the forums, but one is: how can I do the daytime running lights? do I need a relay or fuse? I've got the auto on and off lights, jus no DRL's and number 2: my drivers door actuator is going out I think... it takes a few times hitting the switch to get it to lock, is there some repair I can do to this and/or how hard are they to replace?

-Dusty

well I'll be damned... it was corroded... interesting way of ford to bridge 3 wires into one w/o some grease of some sort... Thanks all... now to get the park lights to blink when I hit the locks and unlocks... Two questions, I know I've seen them both in the forums, but one is: how can I do the daytime running lights? do I need a relay or fuse? I've got the auto on and off lights, jus no DRL's and number 2: my drivers door actuator is going out I think... it takes a few times hitting the switch to get it to lock, is there some repair I can do to this and/or how hard are they to replace?

-Dusty

Glad to hear you got it fixed!! I'm in love with this forum, its such a great site! As soon as I get some extra money I'll definetly get a elite membership....

As to your other questions I have no clue....Could post a new thread asking them.

:p::p::p::p::D:D:D:D:D:D

Back