All Explorers all years and U-HAUL | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

All Explorers all years and U-HAUL

gforceman

Reaction score
City, State
Virginia beach VA
Year, Model & Trim Level
2003 limited 4.6 V8
PFFFFFFFFFFT on u haul for banning all explorers for equipment rentals i need a car dolly to tow my cobra and i cant rent anything from them, and i bought my explorer for towing . so now its just a people hauler like my caravan was ..

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I read something on the U-haul site about it a while back. They said it had nothing to do with the safety of the vehicle, it was all about the lawsuits they were having to deal with. If you happen to have a Mercury that's identical to the Explorer, they will gladly rent you a trailer.

Here's something I found about it:

U-Haul has told its 17,000 outlets to stop renting trailers to customers driving Ford Explorers. The company said it can no longer afford to defend itself against product liability lawsuits involving the popular SUV.

Ford and Firestone blamed each other a few years ago for a spate of rollover accidents that killed more than 100 people.

"U-Haul has chosen not to rent behind this tow vehicle based on our history of excessive costs in defending lawsuits involving Ford Explorer towing combinations," the company told the Detroit News but said the action is "not related to safety issues."

A Ford spokesman said the action demonstrates the dangers of "runaway litigaiton."

Ford and Bridgestone/Firestone have settled numerous individual wrongful death and personal injury lawsuits. Bridgestone/Firestone is now trying to settle 30 class-action suits for a reported $149 million.

Federal regulators have said they could not find a defect in the Explorer. Many, though not all, of the Explorers involved in rollover accidents were equipped with Firestone tires.

If you do enough reading on this topic, you will find that the defect does not exist in the explorer, and most likely not in the tires, however there could have been some defective tires involved. The problems arose when people didn't keep the air pressure in their tires up to the recommended pressure in their quest for a smoother ride. They would maintain a lower air pressure, which in the long run would cause these blow outs.

I had to deal with the same thing with U-Haul. I had recently purchased the explorer with the intent to tow. I was moving a few states away and I could not find a trailer to pack my stuff in! I called around U-Haul dealers, even argued that they would rent a trailer to a mountaineer when it is the exact same truck but still not the explorer - still no go. I almost picked up the trailer with a friends expedition then hooked it up to the explorer. I thought if something DID happen though, then insurance might not cover it...

Good luck though, something SERIOUSLY needs to be done about this!

Back