All four power windows suddenly stopped working | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

All four power windows suddenly stopped working

macch5

Reaction score
City, State
Adams, Massachusetts
Year, Model & Trim Level
96 xlt
:rolleyes: On my 1996 XLT Explorer all 4 power windows have stopped working no matter if you are using the driver door master control or individual controls . I checked the 30 amp fuse under the hood and it is good. I removed the driver door panel, and the master controller. I am getting power to the door lock switch but not to window controls. I would appreciate suggestions. Thanks.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

hmm. check the wiring harness that runs down along the drivers side door sill. mine melted and non working windows, or windows that would roll down on thier own, was a symptom.

likely that your accessory delay relay is broke. If not, there are actually three fuses (links) involved. One powering the windows, one powering the pull up on the accy relay, and another overall powering the battery saver circuit/relay.

Thanks for the ideas. i will post the results if successful.
Macch5

i am also having the same problems..they work every once in a while..

power window problem

At first my windows worked every now and then followed by complete failure.I had to bring it to a dealer after trying all relays and fuses. Turned out to be a broken wire in the door jam. Would have very time consuming to find myself. Repair cost was $287.

Good luck marcd

exactly what mine do.. very frustrating for the windows to go down and not go back up... thats the only thing i havent checked is the wiring in the door, will do that tonight.. thanks alot for the information..

Ok, how about this one. My 3 non-driver windows wont work with their individual controls. But all windows work with drivers control. What could be the problem???

Marcd.... check the LB/BK that the power for all the windows... its probably broken ... if you have checked the other "stuff".

Texplorer.... your problem is likely a gummed up "window lock" switch.

budwich said:
Marcd.... check the LB/BK that the power for all the windows... its probably broken ... if you have checked the other "stuff".

Texplorer.... your problem is likely a gummed up "window lock" switch.

sweet.. thats will be alot of help, i am pretty sure thats the problem i messed with the wires, and they started working then quit again... thanks alot!!

Back