all kinds o' brake problems

rfuree11

Official Bikini Inspector
Reaction score
City, State
Boston
Year, Model & Trim Level
07 WRX Limited
i did a brake job(sorta) this morning and ran into a bunch of problems.

i initially planned on changing the rotors, but i couldnt get the caliper mounting bracket off. the bolts were seized. i sprayed them with some pblaster but it didnt work. anyone know of a good way to get them off?

one of those pin thingies in the caliper mounting bracket (the ones with the rubber boot that slide) was seized up. this is preventing the wheel from spinning freely when it is up in the air, but i dont notice anything when it is on the ground. what will this do to my braking and is there a way to just change that piece without changing the whole bracket (which, once again, i can't get out)?

im an avid DIYer, but im about to give up and bring it to a shop with air tools and let them finish up.

thanks in advance

Did you use a large breaker bar when trying to remove the caliper mounting bracket? In order to get access, put the front end of your X up on jack stands. Turn the wheel completely left or right depending on the side to give access for a large breaker bar. Remember to use lock-tite when putting the bolts back in.

You should be able to buy a front brake hardware kit which will have new boots for the slide pins. You may have to clean out the receiving end of the caliper a bit - maybe use brake parts cleaner???

I replaced both rotors on the front last weekend. Those two bolts were on very tight, I used a 18 inch pipe at the end of my 1/2 inch drive to get them off. I put them back with 90 fT/lb. I just cleaned and greased the slide pin and fill the hole with grease. I also removed the ABS sensors and cleaned the mounting surface with a wire brush on a drill. I was having false ABS trigger just before the truck comes to a complete stop on a dry surface. Everyting works ok now.

it wasnt the boots on the slide pin- it WAS the slide pin. i hammered it, did everything in my power, penetrating oil, etc and the thing didnt budge, so the hardware kit isnt necessary...oh well, its at the shop now- i'll let my buddy's dad take care of it

Back