All shocks are 'Mushy'

Yomie

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
Biloxi, MS
Year, Model & Trim Level
06 Toyota
Whats going on guy's, ok heres my problem. with thw Warrior shackles and with my stock shackles, the ride in the rear is a lil too mushy for me. i've changes shocks (twice already) and it is still a lil too mushy. i was debating going back with my stock shackles and a pair of air shocks, if i do this do you think it will be too rough? I will need to fill up the shocks to give me the 1.5" lift. do you guy's think this will work, and what are your suggestions?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

i had the gabriels from auto zone ( i think they were gabriels) and then I have a set of Explorer Pro Come ES 3000's. I don't like either. the rear end kinda floats up and down on the interstate, like your on a boat, alot of people complain about it.

those gabriels are supposed to be really good... maybe your sway bars are the problem..... and do you have that annoying 5th shock? is it to mushy or hard? if it was too hard, that would explain bouncing all over the place..not being too mushy....

yeah, you can try some bilstein or edelbrock, although i heard the edelbrock isnt as good but costs more. personally im goin with the bilsteins, they are both supposed to shore up the ride. or someone else might have a better idea.

no, i don't have the 5th shock, its mushy like on a boat in a lake kinda like if the water is like ~~~~ ya know slight ripples in the water

Hmmm, I've got the Gabriel's with the Warrior Shackles, and my truck ain't even close to mushy. You could always go with a set of coil overs on the shocks to help stiffen it a little, but the Gabriel's did a fine job on mine. It's also possible that you need to switch to a heavier leaf spring since you have the Sport.

You might be able to put a few more pounds of air in the rear tires. You also might have the torsion bars turned up too much. When I first turned mine up I went too far. Coming to a stop at a light, I could feel my Sport rocking forward and backward due to the softer rear-end. It also felt like it was floating. I lowered the front about 1/2" and with my Edelbrocks on the front and rear feel very similar. It is still a little softer in the rear, but not floaty soft.

You might also think about getting F150 shocks next time. They are longer so you won't have them over extended with the lift. Just a thought.

The only shocks I have ever seen that have not been that way are RS9000's. Turn em up to 5 and it will set your teeth free!

cool, thanks for the replies guys, right now the truck is sitting at stock geometry, but the TT/War shackles are going back on next week. I thought about the RS9000's but i don't know yet they are 79.99 a piece. I do have the mono leaf cause it is a sport, i'll see if i can get a pair of 4 door springs to help, i'll let you guy's know.

You guys have been talking about the "5th shock". I've got the "5th shock" on the rearend of my 97 Mountaineer. What is it there for? Should it be replaced the same at the stock shocks?

Get some rancho 9000 air adjustable and this should cure your problem. Also like some other people said check your tire pressure and rear sway bar.

ok guy's i got the TT/Shackles back on today (actually 5 mins ago). Someone mentioned the F-150 shock, does anyone know how much longer that the explorer shock it is? that is an idea since the explorer shocks limit articulation. oh well, if someone knows please let me know

I have heard bad things about the RS9000s, like how they blow easily. I'd go with the RS5000's. Also if you buy Monroe Reflex shocks they are basically the same thing as eldelbrock IAS shocks, only $20-$30 cheaper. I would also advise against Gabriel shocks. They are very cheaply made and they use O rings as seals instead of teflon bands (the o rings slip off and make the shock leak and work incorrectly).

Yeah, what's the fifth shock for?

Fifth Shock

What is that 5th shock for and do I need it or change it

Originally posted by PunkChild
I have heard bad things about the RS9000s, like how they blow easily. I'd go with the RS5000's.

I have never had that happen. I know of quite a few people running these shocks too. Did your brothers sisters mothers cousin tell you this? :D I run the RS9000's and I run them HARD too. I don't know that I have ever heard of any blowing out. I know if you install them upside down they can do that. But not any other way.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Yabut whuts the fifth shock fer?

Back