• Register Today It's free!

All Terrain Tire Recommendations

fordsky

Reaction score
City, State
Anchorage, AK
Year, Model & Trim Level
2001 Ford Explorer XLT
Hey everyone I'm looking to get a decent set of all terrain tires for my 2001 Ford Explorer XLT 4.0L. Everything is stock and would like to use the stock rims for now. I do not have a lift but will most likely want a 2" lift by the end of this summer. For now I'm looking for something that is really just plug and play and preferably around the $500-$800 price rang. What is everyone using!? Thanks in advance.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Grabber AT3s are excellent. Super in the snow. Decent off road and in the mud ( no all terrain does really good in the mud).

Cross climate 2s will be my next street tires, along with a dedicated mud set.

Grabber AT3s are excellent. Super in the snow. Decent off road and in the mud ( no all terrain does really good in the mud).

Cross climate 2s will be my next street tires, along with a dedicated mud set.
I'll look at them! Im currently looking at the Grabber APTs

I am running and like my Falken Wildpeak A/T3W. Winter rated and good in snow.
I have 32X10-16 on stock wheels with 1.5" spacers, and 2" lift.

falken-wildpeak-at3w.jpg

resole-1.jpg

I've been running the General Grabber AT/X load range C tires for a while, and I am really liking them! They ride great on the highway, handle great, and have a rediculous amount of wet and dry traction. They also seem to work really good in the dirt and mud. Got 4 installed for less than $600. (235/75/15 size)
20210329_174814.jpg

I’m running Cooper AT3s. Great traction on wet, snow, and gravel. And night and day improvement over the Wrangler SR-As that came off. Quieter too and handle just as well. I’ve heard the AT3s get noisier than other tires as they wear, but only had mine 10k mi so I can’t say. I considered the General Grabbers too, but the coopers were on promo at the shop.

I've had the Hankook Dynopro ATM's on my Ranger and a 4th gen Explorer we had. They were good tires for the street, and some dirt roads. Not very aggressive.

Right now I have Falken Wildpeak AT/3W's on my Ranger with about 15k-20k on them. They have been a great A/T tire, for street/ off road / towing. Very quiet, and great road manners. I would definitely buy them again. Good looking and Excellent wear too.

+1 to the Falkens. Im only 3k into mine but they ride nicer then my Toyo Back country’s did. And I had a close call and the grip / stopping power on them was fantastic.

The Falken are not load rated "C", tend to not be as stiff and therefore ride a bit better.........................That likely gives-up some off-road toughness, but I don't need the load rating of a "C load rated tire.

That’s a great point. Most people overlook ride comfort when they slap a 10 ply tire on.

Thanks for the suggestions everyone I opted for the Grabber AT2s. Getting them mounted soon!

tempImageoiRCvo.jpg

Excellent. I loved the three sets I had.

I don't understand why you would buy tires in a near stock size when getting a lift in a few months, instead of just waiting and then getting the larger size that the lift allows!

I also do not understand why you wouldn't get tires with more sipes for improved hard pack snow and ice traction, being in AK.

I don't understand why you would buy tires in a near stock size when getting a lift in a few months, instead of just waiting and then getting the larger size that the lift allows!

I also do not understand why you wouldn't get tires with more sipes for improved hard pack snow and ice traction, being in AK.
Yeah my plans changed haha. After doing more research I learned that lifting my 01 wouldn’t make much sense for me because of what I’d use it for. It’ll be my daily driver mainly. Not planning on doing any serious off roading just wanted a beefier tread for traveling on dirt roads. Planning on lifting the back a inch or two then leveling out the front. As far as snow traction goes I can make do with just about any tire and these are definitely a upgrade from what I have now.

Those tires are excellent in the snow. No need for extra siping, they actually have quite a bits. You won’t have a problem getting places (at least because of the tires)

The toyo at2's are dependable all-around tires also.

Hey everyone I'm looking to get a decent set of all terrain tires for my 2001 Ford Explorer XLT 4.0L. Everything is stock and would like to use the stock rims for now. I do not have a lift but will most likely want a 2" lift by the end of this summer. For now I'm looking for something that is really just plug and play and preferably around the $500-$800 price rang. What is everyone using!? Thanks in advance.
I got the Nitto Terra Grappler 265/70/16 and 3 inch lift to fit. Gotta love the extra Eddie Bauer stuff to make bigger tire impossible. But for procomp 69 times and tires I paid 1200. Has estimated 65k mile range.

Back