All you need to know about keyless entry | Page 12 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

All you need to know about keyless entry

Just a note, if you bought your truck used and didn't get your remotes you can purchase them on Ebay for 10 to 20 dollars and program them yourselves. when i bought my truck, this is what i did. works perfect, and they are OEM remotes.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Just a note, if you bought your truck used and didn't get your remotes you can purchase them on Ebay for 10 to 20 dollars and program them yourselves. when i bought my truck, this is what i did. works perfect, and they are OEM remotes.

I got one here ready for programing, but the problem is I can't get my X in program-mode (read above) :rolleyes:

To program the hand held remotes:
Unlock all doors using the power door lock/unlock control. Insert a key and turn the ignition from the 1 (OFF/LOCK) to the 3 (ON) position and cycle between 1 (OFF/LOCK) and 3 (ON) eight times in rapid succession (within 10 seconds) with the eighth turn ending in the 3 (ON) position. The locks will cycle to confirm that the programming mode has been entered. Within 20 seconds, program a remote transmitter by pressing any button on a transmitter. The locks will cycle once to confirm that the remote transmitter has been programmed. (If more than 20 seconds pass before pressing a remote transmitter button, the programming mode will exit and the procedure will have to be repeated.) Repeat the previous step to program additional remote transmitters. NOTE: All fobs must be programmed on the same time for all fobs to work. The locks will cycle once to confirm that each remote transmitter has been programmed. When you have completed programming the remote transmitters, turn the ignition to the 1 (OFF/LOCK) position or wait 20 seconds. Again the doors will lock/unlock to confirm programming has been completed.

Unlock all doors using the power door lock/unlock control. Insert a key and turn the ignition from the 1 (OFF/LOCK) to the 3 (ON) position and cycle between 1 (OFF/LOCK) and 3 (ON) eight times in rapid succession (within 10 seconds) with the eighth turn ending in the 3 (ON) position. The locks will cycle to confirm that the programming mode has been entered. Within 20 seconds, program a remote transmitter by pressing any button on a transmitter. The locks will cycle once to confirm that the remote transmitter has been programmed. (If more than 20 seconds pass before pressing a remote transmitter button, the programming mode will exit and the procedure will have to be repeated.) Repeat the previous step to program additional remote transmitters. NOTE: All fobs must be programmed on the same time for all fobs to work. The locks will cycle once to confirm that each remote transmitter has been programmed. When you have completed programming the remote transmitters, turn the ignition to the 1 (OFF/LOCK) position or wait 20 seconds. Again the doors will lock/unlock to confirm programming has been completed.

Tried this eight times without getting any confirmation from my X.

So when I'm getting in my car I should first press to lock and then unlock before I insert the key??

Unlock all doors using the power door lock/unlock control.... etc

so you have a remote that works, and a remote that you cannot program?
did you confirm that the remote is the correct remote, has good batteries, etc.

so you have a remote that works, and a remote that you cannot program?
did you confirm that the remote is the correct remote, has good batteries, etc.

That's correct my friend...I got my old working one, and a brand new I want to program.
The problem is how to get my X in program mode!
I don't get the (lock) confirmation cycle to confirm that the programming mode has been entered :(

Just recently bought my 98 Ford explorer and after a few months finally found this thread.. and i looked in the back left panel and saw the security box but the sticker is pretty messed up i can't hardly see the numbers? there is no other way to get this code other then bring it to ford and pay their ridiculous fee right?

what one is it the 4 button(trunk releace) or the 3 button(i have a 2000 XLT). i see auctions on ebay listing the 4 button for 2000

the one i was looking at is http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/FORD...fCarQ5fTruckQ5fPartsQ5fAccessories#vi-content

any help wold be greatly apprecieated as i want ot get one before winter

Thanks OP for this info. Just bought a 2000 XLT and the previous owner who owned the truck for 2 years had no idea what the code was. I found it in one day! :)

Thanks man it worked like a charm on my 95 xlt and my 00 sport

I have the Code on the card that came with the Car. '99 XLT....I have tried to clear it of all the other codes that i dont recall putting in and nothing works. I can lock it usein 7-9 being depressed...But when i enter the factory code useing the keypad it does not unlock.

Best Regards,
Landon

Hi all :)

I tried several times with my '96 x without getting the confirmation of entering the programming mode.
I really want to activate my extra handheld remote and tried everything from cycle 5 to 9 times with no response!

Any ideas would be much appreciated :)

I have a 1996 XLT 4D, with original fob. The vehicle was idle for quite some time, so the battery went dead. Bought a new one, and all is well, except the remote fob. I've tried the cycling multiple times, from four to eight, but never got a confirmation lock/unlock. I did buy new batteries for the remote. What am I missing? Any assistance appreciated. TIA.

Need some assistance with this

I have 96 explorer sport 2wd. Was replacing my starter when I came across this. Before beginning I wanted to see if it worked and it did! I used factory code and it locked and unlocked my doors. I then disconnected battery and replaced my starter. I cannot get it to work now. I erased back to factory code just in case i messed up but I can not get any response now. Also I replaced ignition and then checked to see if my X was available for keyless remote. I cycled 8 times although it cycled the door locks after the fifth time. I then knew it was able to have keyless remote so I ordered one. Same thing...Now when i go back and forth on my ignition I get nothing. I have remote now. I know my factory code but am not gettin anything. Is there something simple I am missing? Please help

I have a 2001 2 Door Sport and I found my code inside the rear left panel,I worked at a Ford Dealer and know how bad I felt when I had to charge people,it got to the point at the end of working there that I started telling people where to find the code rather then paying me to hook up the computer.

WOODY

This thread is great! Just programmed a new remote to my 98 X using the instructions on this thread.

generally, your vehicle, like mine, has a three button keyless entry. unless your truck has an auto trunk release. although both the three and four button remotes work. i have one of each because of price on ebay. they both work fine.

ohhh cool this is my first time on this forum and I already found what I was looking for. My 99 sport did not come with the keyless entry code either but now I know where to look. Knowing that code will be really helpful! Thanks!

I just bought a 99' XLT 4x4 explorer, and I have a fob from a 2001 ranger edge. I tried the steps listed here, the door locks cycled on the 8th turn, and I pressed the button, but nothing is happening. Any suggestions? Is this even possible, since the key fobe is newer?

Well, since the locks cycle that means it was programmed, but did you set it back to off and wait 20 seconds? Then the locks will cycle once more and the keyfob should work.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

repairing diver side door locks.

I have an issue with my 2000, the driver side door lock will not unlock with the key and the remote will not push the lock up far enough to unlock it. What i have to do us use it to unlock the passenger side the reach over and grab the handle. Appreciate any help short of going to FoMoCo!:feedback:

Back