Almost deadly | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Almost deadly

I have done this as well, but noone was in front of me... freaked me out until I realized what was going on... I guess its a curse of big feet.
But Ive never had it run away from me like yours did, I just ran through a stop sign that noone else was at, but not very quickly.

My wife has small feet, and this same thing happened to her.

I also get my foot caught under the brake when Im going from gas to brake, I ripped the sole of a pair of boots one time...lol

The pedals are just awkwardly placed....my only complaint about the truck in the 6 years Ive had it.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Okay, so call me crazy. Getting off the highway tonight, and no one on the off-ramp, I stomped on the gas and brakes simultaneously. I didn't bring my truck to a complete halt (I chickened out so I wouldn't smoke the torque converter) but I did get it down to about 20mph in fairly short order. I'm confident that I could have brought it to a complete stop if I had to. Seat-of-the-pants tells me that I extended my stopping distance maybe 20%.

I do have 4-wheel discs on my EB, but still...........

happened to me befor on my 97 ranger..i took my foot off the gas becasue i was going down a hill and the truck started speeding up, so i hit the braks and its still going so put it in nutural and the RPM's started going down befor i stoped my truck...the mechanic said it was a spring and a bad PVC valve..

i dont know what the PCV valve had to do with it tho

I cant think of a way the PCV valve would cause it....except for maybe a vacuum leak.....

Cruise Control ?

I had an '86 Thunderbird. One day I was pulling into a parking space, and the engine starting reving up, I stomped the brake, two footed it stabbing the gas pedal assuming it was stuck. I put it in park and the engine was screaming, I popped the hood real fast, and after a couple of seconds the engine wound down and I actually watched the throttle cable, as I recall, relax. It was being driven by what I convinced myself, was the cruise control actuator. This happened once in the 4 years I owned the car. I attributed it to the cruise control losing its mind. Never saw it again, or heard of it, until this thread.

Back