Aloha, Hawaii newbie. Needs help!! I put an 01 ranger 4.0 into a 04 sportrac seemed to hook right up wiring wise but no crank??? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Aloha, Hawaii newbie. Needs help!! I put an 01 ranger 4.0 into a 04 sportrac seemed to hook right up wiring wise but no crank???

Swartz

Reaction score
City, State
Hawai'i
Year, Model & Trim Level
06 sportrac
Help!! I am putting a 01 ranger 4.0 into a 2005 explorer trac any issues?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Dude we need waaaaaaaaaaay more information.

Dude we need waaaaaaaaaaay more information.
Aloha, thanks for reply, I had an 01 ranger4.0 4x4 auto, that got tboned found a 05 sportrac 4.0 2 wheel drive with a blown 4.0 engine, so I put the o1 in the sportrac everything hooked up , used the wiring harness from the 01 cause each connector had a home ,everything works but the starter don’t crank, is there something different about the wiring of the newer sportrac that I am missing? Thanks in advance I am an old guy who thought it would b easy!!! Oh well but I need to get the trac outta my drive for thanksgiving or I will b the only turkey there !!!

01 and 05 way different wiring wise
You should have used just the block abs heads from the 01 and use the intake sensors computer and wiring from the 05

The 01 intake is completely different then the 05

Just because two fords use the same 42 pin wiring connector does not mean you can just plug them together

2001 uses a completely different type of pats security then a 05 they are not compatible as you are finding out

I still have the wiring harness for the 04 sportrac do I need to take out the o1 and replace it with the o4? Or can I work with what’s in already, when I tried the o4 harness there were extra plugs without a place to go? And is it the harness in the front of the engine they looked the same only the rear harness was different I think ?, thank you for your help, I’m amazed that all the trucks equipment seems to work except cranking , hopefully someone can direct me how to get this back on the road , my first engine swap at 75 yrs old !!!!

First off well done getting this far

We should be able to make this work

What computer did you use?

The proper way to do an engine replacement with a shock engine is

Pull 04 engine park it on stand or tire or whatever

Park new 01 engine in stand next to it

Strip 01 engine down to heads

Strip 04 engine down to heads

Dress 01 engine to be a 04 engine using all intakes wiring sensors intakes accessories and plumbing

New gaskets and tune up parts Along the way

Basically this way everything on the truck side remains 04 you are simply installing the 01 long block

Working backwards from this is more tricky

Start with the basic questions

You kept the 04 computer and just plugged the 01 engine into it?

Do you have a theft light? Does it flash or go out when attempting to crank?

First off well done getting this far

We should be able to make this work

What computer did you use?

The proper way to do an engine replacement with a shock engine is

Pull 04 engine park it on stand or tire or whatever

Park new 01 engine in stand next to it

Strip 01 engine down to heads

Strip 04 engine down to heads

Dress 01 engine to be a 04 engine using all intakes wiring sensors intakes accessories and plumbing

New gaskets and tune up parts Along the way

Basically this way everything on the truck side remains 04 you are simply installing the 01 long block

Working backwards from this is more tricky

Start with the basic questions

You kept the 04 computer and just plugged the 01 engine into it?

Do you have a theft light? Does it flash or go out when attempting to crank?
Thanks for helping
Yes I used the engine and wiring from the 01 just plugged everything in
The theft light is illuminated until u put the key in and try to crank and it disappears,,,

Thanks for helping
Yes I used the engine and wiring from the 01 just plugged everything in
The theft light is illuminated until u put the key in and try to crank and it disappears,,,I used the o4 wiring which I guess hooked up to the computer,
Need I remove the front wiring harness that goes behind the fan etc, or are we dealing with the rear harness,

Need I remove the front wiring harness that goes behind the fan etc, or are we dealing with the rear harness,
I have the o4 on a stand and the o1 in the truck already , do I need to change the injection parts? Aren’t they the same?, the black plastic tunnel appears to b identical to the o4 except that there’s a vacuum or exhaust port in the front on the drivers side replacing the bigger one to the rear on the 01 so I used the o1 and plugged the hole,
Won’t there b extra plugs with no where to go if I use the o4 plastic tunnel etc, that’s why I used the one off the 01 cause when I first started I used the harness (04) that was intact but had a lot of things with no where to go, or plug in , where is the computer is it behind the big connector on the firewall? Anyway thank you for any advise, I just hope I don’t have to pull the engine again!!! To make it work ,,,, mahalo for all your guidance, thank you for wasting time on my problems, aloha

Not sure about this, but guessing from the lack of replies that no one else is either. The incompatibility seems to be between control modules and possibly other hardware and firmware. Seeing everything else work is reassuring -- no burning smell, sparks or things failing.

It may only require a computer reset or reprogram to overcome the lockout. If the local dealer (assuming there is one, haha) has an akamai electronics guy, the fix may be as easy as connecting up and pushing a few buttons on the console. The stealership may require proof that you're the legal owner before doing that. Who knows, maybe the service manager has the spirit of aloha and does it free?

Otherwise it appears the solution would be to work backwards (concerning electronics) using instructions from @410Fortune above.

Most of us here have no idea what’s in an 04 sport trac. I don’t even know what one looks like.

Generally, a PATS issue will allow the engine to crank but it won’t fire the injectors.

I’d compare an 01 and 04 PCM pinout diagram and see if they jive. If not, you’re gonna need to swap in that 04 harness, and whatever else it mates up to. Even if they do jive, there’s a chance that sensors may have changed between 01 and 04, and the old sensors may not provide valid or accurate information to the new PCM.

As mentioned, the proper solution for installing an engine from a different generation or model generally involves swapping the long block, and maintaining the harness, accessories, intake/exhaust, etc from the original vehicle. I put a long block from a 2010 Ranger in my 1998 Ex, but the PCM, harness, sensors, accessories, intake, valve covers, everything was from the Ex.

Fired right up.

Forscan is awesome
Look it up

Pcms and wiring for pats are different 01-03 vs 04-05.

Does your 01 engine have black or aluminum valve covers?

You will need to use the original 04 harness and possibly fuel injectors if that 04 is a flex fuel (look inside gas lid, should say flex fuel)

04 sport trac looks exactly like a 01-02 sport trac

All sport tracks came factory w sohc engine
Sohc engines intakes changed a great deal in 2002, the pcv plumbing, knock sensor and a few other things changed around, no biggie. I prefer the 02+ style intakes as access to the thermostat housing and drivers tensioner are way better.

The pats security changed in 2002, now it disables the starter

These guys have nailed it
You can replace a sohc engine with any other year of sohc engine from any ford

However you must do it properly! You are only to swap the block and heads as the wiring, sensors, and plumbing all changes year to year. 01 to 04 like you are dealing with here there are many changes! Enough to make it so you should only install the 01 engine block and heads, keeping everything else 2004

Now with that said since you have come this far I will say
In order to get the starter to turn
You can ground the pats signal wire in the power junction box under the hood for the starter relay. The way the 04 pats works is once the pcm sees it is happy with the ignition key it allows a ground at the starter relay. So if you open up your power junction box (fuse box) and locate the start relay, find the dark blue with orange wire and run it to a good ground. See if the starter now runs and see if it starts. It may or may not

Back