Alpha Get's In An Accident :) | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Alpha Get's In An Accident :)

Well LOL it's ok now that I know it's not a huge ordeal.
On Thursday I was driving my truck and following my boyfriend after we picked up a rental van for our trip to Maryland Deathfest. We both were following too closely in bumper to bumper traffic and like a chain reaction he slammed on his brakes...causing me to slam on mine. Unfortunately I couldn't stop fast enough and rearended him. I was only creeping up so I wasn't going fast (like 10mph IF THAT) and no airbag deployment (THANK YOU). I took off about a quarter sized round spot off paint off the rental van but my bumper was forced down about 3 inches. It suffered small abrasions that can be buffed out easily. I was quoted $150.00 for the brackets and time to take off the bumper..replaced the brackets that were bent and some touchup of abrasion near the bumpers edges (to prevent rust).

I'm happy with the quote....and I was excited to be at a body shop because I finally got to talk to someone about turning my grey into black :)

So here's what he quoted me for spraying my grey parts black.

Includes: front & rear bumper including the sanding for the textured area on top of rear bumper. Above wheel area, step bars and trim between bumper and wheel well trim and wind jammer.

$750.00.....wutcha think? My gut tells me that's high but
I don't know. I heard the one dude as he walked around my vehicle mumble to himself as he counted...let's see...about $60.00 for this..
(for the wind jammer alone).

Im getting the bumper fixed for now...spraying the grey will come later. Just want some insight.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Sorry to hear about your little bump. Next time use the two second rule (stay two seconds behind and you will keep a safe distance between you). The paint job sounds expensive to me. But what do I know paying $5 a gallon for gas.

Sounds like you didn't report the incident to the rental company he he....:D

LMAO I was thinking after I posted "I didn't mention the outcome of the rental damage". Well they didn't do a walk around before or after we had the van so being that it's located in the bottom floor of a parking deck at the airport (dark) we returned it without mentioning the scratch. I don't feel so bad right now because they surprised us with additional charges of $60.00 (some airport tax) after we had already paid for everything.

Didn't you sign a contract? They just can''t add aditional charges....unless you crashed it or something.....oh wait...:p

A friend at the body shop did mine for $300 and I know he was giving me a deal.
Just something to compare....

a local shop here is doing my front, rear bumpers, my grille, and rear chome splashguards, running board, EE airdam, and some body work ( all painted black to match the truck) for somewhere between 4-600. Glad your x wasnt too badly messed up.

oh, but i forgot to mention that the front and rear bumpers are already primed, just need to be sprayed. so thats a bit less work

$750 is fairly reasonable just because they have to prep all those plastic pieces to be painted. Good paintwork is always expensive...

Oh and alpha, I live in MD, and have no idea what the "Maryland Deathfest" is LOL, do I wanna know? ;)

I thought death fest was in NeyJersey in March?

The paint quote if quite fair. I say go with it.

Man, you've really disappeared lately Alpha. What's the dilly-yo?

Originally posted by MONMIX
I thought death fest was in NeyJersey in March?

The paint quote if quite fair. I say go with it.

Why would they have the Maryland Deathfest in Jersey ? ;)

Hartman.....other responsibilities thats all.

60 bucks to paint the windjammer, you can do it yourself for under 10 :) and it will look almost the same

I did paint it myself and it looked ok for awhile (not so shiny anymore) but if Im having the other stuff sprayed I might as well get that resprayed as well. Crap if im going to pay 750.00 it almost sounds silly to do the windjammer to save 50 bucks no? hehe. I dont mind the price just wanted to make sure it sounds normal and not "oo a girl lets overcharge her dumb ass".

That might be a little high for the price. But it does look fantastic!

Please no one respond to my pics here, I do not want to hyjack this thread. Look under Sport Truck Exterior and post Click here. if you want to.

GO FOR IT! Makes a Huge difference:

Before:
DSC00014.jpg

After:
DSC01772.jpg

Originally posted by alphasylum
Why would they have the Maryland Deathfest in Jersey ? ;)

Hmmmm, not what I meant but that was funny wasn't it?

No, a few years ago I worked a Metal Fest up in New Jersey. The same people who put on Michigan Metal Melt Down put this one on.

I thought they had branched down this way.

I dunno. Thinking out loud I guess.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Shoot !!
Okay I am georgaphically chalanged
I meant Milwaukee Metal fest.

Okay this thread has totally derailed thanks to me

Back