Altering plans-SAS 30 to Full-width | Ford Explorer - Ford Ranger Forums - Serious Explorations
  • Register Today It's free!

Altering plans-SAS 30 to Full-width

Racerx70

Another Broco2erer
Reaction score
City, State
Soldotna Alaska
Year, Model & Trim Level
89 Bronco2
I was planning (and collecting parts for) a xj dana30 SAS, but just recently decided that the 30 would just be to much compromise for what I want.

I had the 30 and it was the same gears as what I have(3.73), but I need more gear allready(32's) and want to see 35-36's. That and I want hubs and highsteer without spending big buck after the swap.

So now I am hunting for a HP44 out of a ford pickup or bronco and either a 9inch or fullsize 8.8(depends on what's cheap ;) )

Big question is...to narrow or not to narrow? I know EB width would be good, but I would have to narrow it like 6"? I want the high pinion, so EB housing is not an option. I have no problem with running it full-width other than tire coverage. As far as I can tell, no one makes big flares for the 1st gen X, and I'm not sure how far out they will be.

Does anyone have pictures of a 1st gen with full-width axles? or a Ranger for that matter. I am planning 8 or so inches up and 36x13.5 irocs on 8in wheels.

How much wider can I expect? and where do I find flares? Or those flared fenders and quarters?

Premier

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
Utah
Year, Model & Trim Level
96 sport
MSUPERTEK has full width.

hazardiz

Reaction score
City, State
Prince George, BC, Canda
Year, Model & Trim Level
91 Eddie Bauer
i'm just finishing up an Exploder on full length 44 and 8.8...and my buddy just did full length 44 and 9 inch under his ranger...he's running 35's...i'm gonna be running 38's...you can expect 3 inches wider about on each side...my flares i'm making out of belting...i got some pictures of trucks on full lengths...email me and let me know if you got any more questions and i can email you some pictures... hazardiz@hotmail.com ...later