Alternate Exhaust Manifold for 5.0 Explorer? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Alternate Exhaust Manifold for 5.0 Explorer?

cantornikolaos

Reaction score
City, State
Greenville, SC
Year, Model & Trim Level
2000 Explorer Limited 5.0
Callsign
BigTime
Both of my Explorers are 5.0 models, and I noticed on both of them, there is some issue with rust and paint peeling on the valve cover right next to where the exhaust manifold goes up and over cylinders 1, 2, 5, and 6. the one I bought in NH is a lot worse, and I had to replace the valve covers because of corrosion turning into rot. When I saw similar (but much less severe) distress on the valve cove on my SC Explorer's valve cover, I decided it's time for an intervention. I want to put an exhaust manifold on the engine that goes down away from the top of the engine, you know, like a normal exhaust manifold. Besides my concern about heat damage to the valve covers, I want to re-route my spark plug wires in a cosmetically-appealing way.

I looked at exhaust manifolds for older F-Series trucks and Mustangs, but it looks like nothing is a direct, drop-in replacement. It shouldn't have any trouble bolting up to the head, but the inlet pipe would have to be modified for the manifold to mate to it. Also, the performance headers for the 5.0 Explorer that I've looked at have the same issue as the stock manifold. I'm not about to spend that kind of money, especially when it's not going to solve this specific issue. I'm looking for something OEM style.

Has anyone here dealt with this issue? What did you do?

Back