Alternative Full Wheel Covers/Skins Hubcaps to fit 18" PIU Steel Wheels? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Alternative Full Wheel Covers/Skins Hubcaps to fit 18" PIU Steel Wheels?

Rashaunny

Reaction score
City, State
Minnetonka
Year, Model & Trim Level
2017 Ford Explorer PIU
Howdy.
I have a 2017 Ford explorer police interceptor utility 3.7 l. It has the factory Ford center caps that attach to the lug nuts.

I'm looking to replace these with full coverage hubcaps. The obvious answer is to use the factory Police undercover hubcaps in matte silver but they are as expensive as the center caps used.

At those prices it seems easier just to buy a new set of Chrome rims bc I'm looking for a regular civilian looking SUV.

Does anyone have prior knowledge whether or not the wheel colors for the 18-in civilian wheels will fit the PIU Steelies? They go for like $50/set of 4 used vs $50/ea. Also they are usually chrome so they don't look like the cheapass police "undercover" skins.

Thanks for your time this is difficult to solve without being able to physically try to fit a few pairs. Heck, I would even glue them on off they didn't obstruct the lugnuts.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I tried on a 14 PIU and it did not work. The civilian wheel covers (factory and aftermarket) do not fit the PIU rims. They won't physically fit let alone try to mount. Get some used rims from a junkyard or go aftermarket.

I was able to use the OEM aftermarket covers on the 17" steel wheels that I used for winter in place of the OEM 20" on my previous 2011 Limited (pictured).
This site has a cover specifically for the 18" police wheel. https://parts.autonationfordwhitebearlake.com/search?search_str=Wheel Cover&ptid=10026

Peter

PB050253a.jpg

Howdy.
I have a 2017 Ford explorer police interceptor utility 3.7 l. It has the factory Ford center caps that attach to the lug nuts.

I'm looking to replace these with full coverage hubcaps. The obvious answer is to use the factory Police undercover hubcaps in matte silver but they are as expensive as the center caps used.

At those prices it seems easier just to buy a new set of Chrome rims bc I'm looking for a regular civilian looking SUV.

Does anyone have prior knowledge whether or not the wheel colors for the 18-in civilian wheels will fit the PIU Steelies? They go for like $50/set of 4 used vs $50/ea. Also they are usually chrome so they don't look like the cheapass police "undercover" skins.

Thanks for your time this is difficult to solve without being able to physically try to fit a few pairs. Heck, I would even glue them on off they didn't obstruct the lugnuts.
I tried some 18" full wheel covers nice black shiny with fake lug nuts but half of them broke trying to put them on so I got a refund and I'm still looking. Looking at junk yard wheels now.

Back