Alternative to K&N filter? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Alternative to K&N filter?

ncyrider

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2001 Sport Trac 4WD
I cleaned and re-oiled the K&N air filter in my '01 Sport Trac a few days ago, and before putting it back in I realized I might have accidentally caused some damage to the fabric material because I used some pretty high-pressure water to clean the filter. I didn't see any obvious damage, but K&N's instructions on their cleaner spray say not to use anything beyond running tap water or the filter will be affected. I wish I had known this before, but at this point I don't think I can trust this filter and want to replace it. I know a lot of people will say not to run a K&N or any fabric style filter in the first place because they pass dust particles, but I've had this filter for a couple years, and K&N's on other trucks, with no problems. So if I wanted to get a new "high flow" drop-in filter, I'm wondering whether I should go with K&N again, or if one of the other brands have better filtration and quality over K&N?
The options for my Sport Trac I've seen so far are: Spectre Performance, AEM, Airaid, and S&B. I saw a couple reviews that say the Spectre is better quality than K&N, but it's a lot cheaper too so I don't know...
I have used a AFE filter on a different vehicle before, and I can honestly say that was higher quality than K&N...but apparently they don't make a drop-in filter for the '01 ST.

aFe Pro Dry-S 31-10020 fits perfectly. Great build quality, filtration, flow, and above all, NO OIL. Price is slightly higher than the K&N 33-2106 you have. Not a fan of MAF contaminating oiled filters, but quite honestly, issues are usually caused by servicing too often or using too much oil. K&N recommends cleaning and oiling only after 50,000 miles under normal conditions, 25,000 dusty. Another much less expensive oil free option is the AEM 28-2106 DryFlow. From past experiences I avoid ANYTHING made by Spectre. Chrome plated plastic garbage commonly found in your local department store. JMO

aFe POWER 31-10020 Magnum FLOW Pro DRY S Air Filter | aFe POWER

How to Clean a K&N Air Filter - K&N Filters Cleaning Instructions

aFe Pro Dry-S 31-10020 fits perfectly. Great build quality, filtration, flow, and above all, NO OIL. Price is slightly higher than the K&N 33-2106 you have. Not a fan of MAF contaminating oiled filters, but quite honestly, issues are usually caused by servicing too often or using too much oil. K&N recommends cleaning and oiling only after 50,000 miles under normal conditions, 25,000 dusty. Another much less expensive oil free option is the AEM 28-2106 DryFlow. From past experiences I avoid ANYTHING made by Spectre. Chrome plated plastic garbage commonly found in your local department store. JMO

aFe POWER 31-10020 Magnum FLOW Pro DRY S Air Filter | aFe POWER

How to Clean a K&N Air Filter - K&N Filters Cleaning Instructions

Thank you! I'll order that AFE. I'll clean the MAF sensor at the same time, but is there anything else in the intake I should check/clean that my abused K&N filter might have affected?
I found the AFE on ebay for about $20 cheaper than anywhere else: http://www.ebay.com/itm/like/152583574319?chn=ps&dispItem=1
...Is there any reason not to trust this and get the filter from somewhere else like Amazon?

aFe Pro Dry-S rocks, had mine three years. Seals so well a gasket is not supplied or needed. Use specific CRC MAF cleaner or quick dry electric contact cleaner for the MAF sensor. Spray the delicate wire filaments with the red spray tube without touching them. Also, if you haven't yet, clean the throttle body using CRC throttle body cleaner that's safe for the TB teflon coating instead of carb cleaner shown in the link. Important to clean the butterfly plate where it contacts the throttle body bottom thoroughly. Throttle return spring is strong, use a short PVC pipe or wood handle wrapped in a soft cloth to hold the plate open. CRC TB cleaner also works well to service the IAC valve.

http://www.mysporttrac.com/MySportTrac/projects/ThrottleBodyCleaning/Throttle_Cleaning.htm

BTW, $46.78 shipped from eBay is a GREAT deal. Make offer? Apply the savings to buy the cleaners.
https://www.napaonline.com/en/p/CRC05110
https://www.napaonline.com/en/p/CRC092400_0006558880

Back