alternator and battery

TheMattDaddy

Reaction score
City, State
Hoover, AL
Year, Model & Trim Level
1993 XLT
Hey guys,
I decided to upgrade to 200amp alternator from Mr. Alternator so that I can run all my little gadgets :bounce: Now, I've read over the steps on how to install an alternator.. but I'm still a little cautious. How much would it cost to have a shop install it? BTW, how much do Optima yellow and red tops range (as in cost)? Thanks!

I believe red tops are about 120 and yellow tops are about 180...all ya gotta do is take the tension off the idler pulley? and swap alternators...its really easy...If I can get pics of mine over x-mas...I'll try and get em up..
Thanks,
Pete

Possible Alternator problem

I've noticed lately my voltage gauge dropping when I put on accessories like the defroster. Happens at idle . Checked the output at the battery its still near 15 volts. However at idle you can notice a small dimming of the headlights if you put on an accessory. Is my alternator going - or the regulator or what?

Yeah that's what I read the install was.. ya know, the more I look over it, the easier it looks.. so hey, I'm gonna try to do it myself! thanks for the info

Back