alternator/battery output? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

alternator/battery output?

boaia5650

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2000 Explorer
would the stock alternator/battey in a 98 explorer be enough to power a 4000w/70a amplifier?

my friend has 8000w and his lights would go out when the speakers were on, id like to advoid that

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

If you have everything, might as well give it a try and then decide later if you need to. As for if the lights would dim, not a clue

I have a 1200watt amp, and nothing dims.

I don't know much about this stuff, but my guess is that it would be too much for it. I know on my dad's GMC, that has two 10's in the back, you can make the headlights dim with them up. I'm not sure on the power, but it's a lot less than that.

i cant get it hooked up til tomorrow after i figure my deck out, but if its too much what do i do? add some batteries

get a 5 farad capacitor. that will save you from any lights dimming. It is what i used in my show truck when my lights started to flicker a little. You should need 1 farad of capacitance for every 1000 watts, but i don't think i have ever seen a 4 farad capacitor.

get a 5 farad capacitor. that will save you from any lights dimming. It is what i used in my show truck when my lights started to flicker a little. You should need 1 farad of capacitance for every 1000 watts, but i don't think i have ever seen a 4 farad capacitor.

really that will stop it from dimming, with out adding no extra batteries, thanks
this is a 4 farad (that would work?)

http://general.wholesaleclearing.co...id=1&option=com_virtuemart&vmcchk=1&Itemid=26

yea that would be good for you. You won't need to add an extra battery because the capacitors store power when you need it. You will not always be running the amp at all 4000 watts, but when you do the extra power it needs will come from the capacitors instead of from the stock electrical system, therefore power is not disrupted to your lights and everything else. If you wanted to hook up a second battery there are many different ways to do it. Search through this site for "2 battery install", or "second battery install". you will find lots of threads of how to do it using battery isolators, solenoids, or if you want to run them in series, etc. Good luck!

The Cap will only work if your alternator is large enough to support the current. 70 amps is a lot but I think many explorers came with 140A alternators. I would say try it and see what happens. The CAP is always a good idea, even if you have a second battery next to your amp. The battery is only providing 12v, the cap will provide the same voltage as your alternator ,so usually around 14v in a quick burst when it is needed :thumbsup:

what amp is this???

if the amp is fused at 70 amps than it is NOWHERE NEAR 4000 watts

Showing how much the amp can theoretically put out in a perfect environment

70 amps X 14.4 volts = 100.8 watts INPUT

if it is a class D amp

1008 watts INPUT X .8 = 806.4 watts OUTPUT

this is saying the amp is a very high quality amp that is 80% efficient.

If the amp is class AB then

1008 watts INPUT X .6 = 604.8 watts OUTPUT

Seems like the amp is a very cheap quality flea market brand probably Lanzar, Pyle, Pyramid...those sorts

HAH, good catch ....

oh wow didn't even look at the fact that he said 70 amps... interesting...

my thought is that it says 4000w max printed on the amp. if it is an off brand, its probably lucky if it is putting out around 500w.

capacitors dont always work. i have 500w rms running to my sub and i got a 1 farad cap to fix the dimming lights and it did absolutely nothing. and yes it is hooked up correctly, showing 14.4v with the engine running, a little over 12v with the engine off.

my thought is that it says 4000w max printed on the amp. if it is an off brand, its probably lucky if it is putting out around 500w.

i really hope your wrong, it this **** only puts out 500w ima be pissed. + its in a hudge case

and it takes (2) 35 watt fuses = 70a

what amp is this???

if the amp is fused at 70 amps than it is NOWHERE NEAR 4000 watts

Showing how much the amp can theoretically put out in a perfect environment

70 amps X 14.4 volts = 100.8 watts INPUT

if it is a class D amp

1008 watts INPUT X .8 = 806.4 watts OUTPUT

this is saying the amp is a very high quality amp that is 80% efficient.

If the amp is class AB then

1008 watts INPUT X .6 = 604.8 watts OUTPUT

Seems like the amp is a very cheap quality flea market brand probably Lanzar, Pyle, Pyramid...those sorts

i really wanted 1 amp i could just screw too the back of the box, and keep **** clean, but i guess im going with the kickers

I would say even their RMS numbers on that site are optimistic you don't get 4000w for $130

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

capacitors dont always work. i have 500w rms running to my sub and i got a 1 farad cap to fix the dimming lights and it did absolutely nothing. and yes it is hooked up correctly, showing 14.4v with the engine running, a little over 12v with the engine off.

just out of curiosity what kind of cap do you have? also do you have it running straight from the battery on another line, in line with the amp, or through a block? theres lots of ways to hook them up. I have never had an issue with any of my caps not working how they should though.. weird

Back