Alternator flooded...making high piched whine?? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Alternator flooded...making high piched whine??

diego

Reaction score
City, State
Arizona
Year, Model & Trim Level
97 xlt v8 explorer
Recently we got a huge rain and it flooded out the street where I lived. The street was about a 2-3 foot river and I drove through it. When I got home I let the X run a while to make sure everything was ok. Later that night I drove it and it seemed fine until everything started going extremely dim as if my battery was dying finally I lost all power accessories including head lights. I pulled over and it started running extremely rough so I revved it up for about 10 seconds and all the power came back on and ran perfect the rest of the night. The next day I went to drive and had a high pitched whine coming from the engine compartment like the sound you can hear through speakers in a car of the engine??? Its been consistent since that day and does not go away, the alternator in not losing any of its capabilities just a horrible noise....any idea of what to do, replace it or lube it maybe?? maybe the pulley but seems to be coming from the internals??? Maybe not even the alternator but I doubt any thing else since I used a stethoscope and get the highest sound on it.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

take it out and take it to auto zone and get them to test it on their bench tester.

I would but it is really my only means of transportation right now unless i ride the KX250 there haha. Im an not losing any power just that noise any ideas??? They can test them when they are still in the truck right?

Yes and no the Machine they use to test alternators in the car isnt the most acurate thing ever. I dont really trust it like i do the bench tester. If it comes to it im sure they would let you take it out in the parking lot. They dont mind here in mooresville and at the one where i work.

Back