Alternator Light | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Alternator Light

Ian5700

Reaction score
This afternoon when the started the explorer, not for the first time today, the alternator light came on and the charging needle was quite low near to the bottom, but still showing a charging level. This has continued.

The belt has correct tension, lots of tension left for the tensioner to move, i checked the battery cables they are fine. I took the alternator off and looked at the brushes they seemed fine, although i have no comparsion of what a new set would look like, but the ones in there have a fare bit of material left on them. I put the alternator back on and the problem was just as before. The haynes manual seems to suggest that if the charging light continues on it is because of either poor belt tension or a faulty alternator.

My question is there anything else that it could be before i go and invest in a new alternator???

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

The battery is quite new (1 year and a couple of months), but i will put it on trickle charge overnight and have a look in the morning, if when i start it up the charging needle is in the middle than i know that the battery is bad. If not it looks like i will be off to buy a new alternator.

if you have a local Lucas place, they'll sort you out, there's one here, and if they fit it, they do you massive discounts on the parts and they already cheap anyway

Si

With the engine running, put a volt meter on the battery terminals. If the alternator is working, you should have about 14 volts. Kev.

I had a problem starting a few weeks ago (flat battery) the mechanic tested the alternator by starting the Ex and removing the negative lead from the battery, if the engine still runs the alternator is aparently ok.

hope this helps

I had a problem starting a few weeks ago (flat battery) the mechanic tested the alternator by starting the Ex and removing the negative lead from the battery, if the engine still runs the alternator is aparently ok.

hope this helps
I know that this is an old post ,, but I gotta say , that yes ,, the above mentioned ,, is a famous , good old trick from the good old days ,, however ,, that was before vehicles became computers on wheels ,, now a days ,, mechanics will say that this is not a good thing to do ,, because of all the different circuits , and systems that are running , and need , that full complete circuit ,, with the battery and Alt. together , thus potential serious damage to the system becomes an issue , and is most likely why Alternators , these days , are tested , with the whole circuit intact , by using voltmeters , other gadgets , and such .

Back