Alternator Not Charging 2011+ Here's Why | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Alternator Not Charging 2011+ Here's Why

makuloco2000

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2012 Explorer XLT
Just wanted to pass this info along as some may be experiencing perceived weak batteries or just want to do the occasional checkup before a long road trip and bam you find the alternator is not charging, don't worry just yet here is why....

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Smart Charging Alternator

On the 2011+ Explorers they also use "Smart Charging". This is a regenerative electrical charging system that optimally charges the battery instead of having the alternator charging the battery any time the engine is running. When the vehicle is braking or decelerating, the kinetic energy is converted into electrical energy. It also communicates with the ADFSO (Aggressive Deceleration Fuel Shut-Off) system to ensure the battery is being optimally charged. Ford calls this the Smart Charging Alternator.

Peter

On the 2011+ Explorers they also use "Smart Charging". This is a regenerative electrical charging system that optimally charges the battery instead of having the alternator charging the battery any time the engine is running. When the vehicle is braking or decelerating, the kinetic energy is converted into electrical energy. It also communicates with the ADFSO (Aggressive Deceleration Fuel Shut-Off) system to ensure the battery is being optimally charged. Ford calls this the Smart Charging Alternator.

Peter
IDK where you got your info from but the only vehicles that have regenerative charging is hybrids. These do have a smart charge alt which is exactly what I talked about in detail in the video, have you watched the video? Smart charge alternators have been out since 2000 but this system goes a step further with battery management info so it can do things like shut off alt during cranking and as shown in video turn off alt charging when not needed reliably instead of guessing at the batter current state of charge just based on voltage.

IDK where you got your info from but the only vehicles that have regenerative charging is hybrids. These do have a smart charge alt which is exactly what I talked about in detail in the video, have you watched the video? Smart charge alternators have been out since 2000 but this system goes a step further with battery management info so it can do things like shut off alt during cranking and as shown in video turn off alt charging when not needed reliably instead of guessing at the batter current state of charge just based on voltage.
The info is from the 2011 Ford Explorer 'What's New' handout that the dealer provided to me when I ordered my vehicle. It is a rather comprehensive Ford document that was originally put together for their sales people.

Peter

Oh I see they call it regenerative charging in the new 2013 manuals but it is not the same as regenerative charging as in a hybrid just another fancy name for smart charging the battery.

FYI

If the vehicle battery is replaced, carry out the Battery Monitoring System Reset using the scan tool. If the Battery Monitoring System Reset is not carried out, measurement data collected for the old battery is not deleted and future state of charge measurements will be inaccurate. For example, if an old battery has a state of charge of 60% and the new battery has a state of charge of 90%, the BCM will recognize battery state of charge being 30% lower than it actually is. With the battery state of charge being perceived lower than it actually is causes shedding of loads earlier than is necessary. This also impacts the smart regenerative charge system by causing the battery to be maintained at a higher state of charge than perceived by the BCM, reducing fuel economy benefits.

Here is the original Alternator Load Testing video that I refer to that is still the most accurate test even on these new charging systems.

Back