Alternator not charging /charging system warning | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Alternator not charging /charging system warning

phenomenal89

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2006 Ford Explorer xls
Hello, I have a 2006 Ford Explorer xls. I replaced the alternator due to the alternator not charging(assumed it was a bad alternator ) a short while later battery died (replaced with new battery) . New Battery was dying, wasn't getting any charge from alternator apparently. So , it appears to be an electrical issue going on somehow. Does anyone know what I can do, or have done to get the charging system running (alternator) running properly ? I looked up so many wiring diagrams but it appears something may be missing. I'm going crazy cause as I'm sure I rewired everything correctly :(

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Its hard to say for me anyway not having looked into it. Check your connections, use a meter and measure the voltage from the output to the battery or reverse to ground and see if you isolate a place where its dead or very low. Corrosion could be an issue in the wiring. There is always a large fuse or fusible link in series that maybe defective. Either blown or intermittent. I'd expect around a 150A rating. With the engine at idle you should have 14.0 min to 14.6 Max normally and under 13VDC its not getting power from the alternator.

What was posted above is great advice. Also, is it charging at all? If all is good above check the fusable links on both of the wires to the alternator. They are soldered inline with the wire, and the wire needs to be replaced if they go. there is a diagram in the manual that shows both the primary and the remote line have one, and the remote line feeds after the fuseable link on the primary. Reason i know this? I crushed the remote line when I changed my alternator back in May, and it finally broke in August when I was 2 hrs away from home at the lake. Luckily I managed to track down a butt connector and fixed it all up. That reminds me, I should solder it up when I have some time.

Its hard to say for me anyway not having looked into it. Check your connections, use a meter and measure the voltage from the output to the battery or reverse to ground and see if you isolate a place where its dead or very low. Corrosion could be an issue in the wiring. There is always a large fuse or fusible link in series that maybe defective. Either blown or intermittent. I'd expect around a 150A rating. With the engine at idle you should have 14.0 min to 14.6 Max normally and under 13VDC its not getting power from the alternator.

Ok I understand. I may have to check and see if I have to check for the fusible link. And yes it's not charging properly. As the engine run, the numbers(amp) go down and the battrrry drains which eventually will lead to me needed a jump start.

What was posted above is great advice. Also, is it charging at all? If all is good above check the fusable links on both of the wires to the alternator. They are soldered inline with the wire, and the wire needs to be replaced if they go. there is a diagram in the manual that shows both the primary and the remote line have one, and the remote line feeds after the fuseable link on the primary. Reason i know this? I crushed the remote line when I changed my alternator back in May, and it finally broke in August when I was 2 hrs away from home at the lake. Luckily I managed to track down a butt connector and fixed it all up. That reminds me, I should solder it up when I have some time.
Thank you for the advice. I have to see if I can download the manual, also no it's not charging. Maybe the manual will show me where the fusible links are.

http://search.ebscohost.com/
Username : s8921298
Password : password
You will find the diagram under electrical diagrams, starting/charging, charging. Mine was the brown wire on the R line after the fusible link.

Take a multimeter and measure the resistance across it. Just make sure the battery is disconnected. It avoids you shorting something out. it should read 0, or very low ohms. Then if you take the multimeter, and if it will reach and measure the resistance to the end of the cable at the connector. it too should be 0 or very low resistance. That will tell you if you have an open wire. Then check the sheathing for any breaks. Mine had gone right through the loom and crushed the sheathing causing the wire to break.

I don't see if we ever got an answer to your question is the alternator putting out any power at all? Diagnosis would be different if there was even a slight output even if it was only when the RPMs were brought up
My 2006 V6 has very weak output at idle speed... But as soon as the revs come up just a tiny bit to 900 RPM or so The voltage climbs to normal range. It has been like this for two years now.
If you are getting no power at all out of the alternator I would suspect the problem is in the wiring

Back