Alternator not failing but...

dajoes90

Reaction score
City, State
Miami, FL
Year, Model & Trim Level
2004 Explorer 4.6L V8
Hi everyone!
The situation is simple. Replaced the battery back in August 2018 that i bought on September 2018. Last Wednesday, the car wouldn't start and i went to get a replacement for the battery, thought i was defective. After a couple days (my baby was born and didn't had time to think about), i thought on checking the voltage while the motor was running just in case to see if the alternator was not charging at all and saw that the voltage is at 12,5 V a little bit more, a little bit less. Does that mean that the alternator is not working well, right?

Congrats on the new baby!

With the truck running you should see around 14V at the battery if the alternator & regulator are working correctly.

Thank you so much! That's what i thought after reading so many post in regards the charge of the battery while running. I've already ordered a new alternator and i'll bring the old one to an Auto Zone store to have it checked just to confirm it's bad.

It doesn't look like but the alternators have some similarities with the brake pads, the more you use, the more they wear, i knew that someday i would have to replace it, now the day has come.

Have the new alt checked before you leave the store.

Back