• Register Today It's free!

Alternator/Pulley ?

Carl D.

Reaction score
City, State
St Charles MO
Year, Model & Trim Level
92 Explorer Sport
I'm changing my Alternator for the new 200 Amp Alternator, My question is this.

The old alternator has a 2 3/4 inch pulley wheel and the new alternator has a 2 1/4 inch pulley wheel. should I leave the smaller pulley wheel on or replace it with the larger old pulley wheel, which would be comming off the 95 amp alt.

Thanks

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Doesn't really matter. I think I ended up using my stock pulley to keep from over turning the Alternator for longer lift but that'll give you less amps at lower RPM.

The smaller pulley is for more amps at idle and lower rpm's. If you do take it off I would be willing to buy it from you. :D

I had a problem with the smaller pulley when I installed my high-amp alternator... The belt would squeak and I could only get about 11 volts out of it. I tried all combinations of different size belts, and nothing worked. I ended up buying longer bolts, some washers, and spacers that raised the alternator up 1/2"... Squeaking went away and the alt works great!

I had power pullies on my x at one time and the alternator turned so slow it discharged the battery at idle! I like lots of juice outa my alternator, I'd go with the smaller one.....

Thanks, I've put it on with the small pulley and seems to be working great. I don't know if it's me or what, but I think the X runs smoother now too.

Back