alternator questions i think

roughrider17

Reaction score
City, State
Ontario, Canada
Year, Model & Trim Level
2002 Sport Trac
Hey guys, first some background as usual with my posts,
I recently installed a pioneer DDIN myself, along with 4 door speakers. I also have a subwoofer and amp, i cant recall exactly how many watts my amp sucks but i believe it is 300.
Anywho so since then ive become super paranoid that i messed something up and so ive been VERY vigilant about sounds and problems with my truck.
SO down to the problem, now my 02' trac's alternator always has clicked fairly often, and was always fairly audible (not the problem just a side bar, at least i think) so today i was sitting at a light and i was listening to the radio very loudly (im 19 so im allowed to right?) and i looked at my tach and noticed that my RPM's dropped from 1 to about 500 for no apparent reason so i turned down the music to listen and it went back up to 1 thousand and then again about a minute later it it dropped down to 500 or so and didn't sound very good and also i felt a slight vibration throughout my trac until my alternator clicked in and it brought the RPM's back up... at least i think it was the alternator
Anyway im so sorry about the long post but my main question is why did my trac suddenly drop to 500 or so RPMs, i believe and assume it has something to do with my battery/alternator because of all my aftermarket power suckers but is there any other reason it would do this ? and finally could it be a sign that my alternator is failing? i havent noticed any problems with my battery holding a charge itself... maybe im simply sucking too much power and it cant handle it?
im no expert with car electronics so any help would be appreciated
roughrider

Find and old alternator shop that rebuilds them. Remove the alternator and take it to them. Tell them you problem and they should be able to give it good test. They can also rebuild it for a higher output. Had this done to my F-150 when I put on a lift gate.

Back