• Register Today It's free!

Alternator stud

1991 sploder

Reaction score
City, State
Lompoc
Year, Model & Trim Level
1991 eddie bauer
Ugh yep that's what I'm doing tonight....that thing fried I had a optima yellow top idk if that caused it but it's only been in the truck 1 year and my voltage gauge would bounce first 5min of running... Going to clean up the cable too...motocraft alternator...

20201120_222351.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

20201120_224719.jpg

Melted aluminum....hmm what would cause this? Just don't want to be running it frying alternators... Everything was clean and tight... I'm running a smaller battery now. This part is inside the alternator rebuilt in Mexico... Idk if I'm even the problem everything else is good I think it's from the previous owner of this rebuilt unit....on a side note my old alternator the only problem was the brush was gone... I asked oryleys "kragen" to sell me the brush..
The manager on the store called me f in crazy for rebuilding it myself....anybody can put in a new brush...idk kinda mad I baught this garbage. Got really wet? I do a LOT of puddle jumping in the sploder idk...

Plenty of meat left on the bone just took the grinder my nuts...lol after disassembling... Hopefully this helps someone...before hooking it up I made sure I had no resistance between positive and ground... Should be good to go.
20201121_002346.jpg

Found the problem.... I'm returning this... Take a look at the picture..meausure ohms between housing and terminal screw should b at least 2.4 ohms if not the voltage regulator is defective.... I'll be getting a new one free tomorrow. I got nothing. And not very happy about this since its been happening since I got it I assumed a new alternator would be good..
20201121_015433.jpg

new alternator or remanufactured? Big difference

Remanufactured....tested good? Idk I'll keep an eye on it....

Back