Alternator types?

762mm

Reaction score
City, State
Canada
Year, Model & Trim Level
'99 XLT (4x4, SOHC)
Hello,

Yesterday I found out that I need a new alternator... I went to a few stores today, and a rebuilt costs 300 + tax... New ones start at 330 + tax... :confused: :mad:

Needless to say that I'm not gonna spend that much if I can help it, so I've put the old one back in, reinstalled the old belt and off to ebay I went. There's someone selling new ones for under $100 that have decent shipping costs and a good delivery time.

My question is: Are all alternators for 4.0L Explorers compatible? I strongly suspect that this is the OHV version, and I have an SOHC. I asked the seller, but all he replied with was the shipping costs, and not whether or not it will fit/plug properly - he probably doesn't know himself. Thanks for your help... Here's the only description offered on his auction:

"This alternator fits the following applications:

1993 - 1995 BRONCO 5.8 5.0

1992 - 2003 E SERIES VAN 7.3 5.8 5.0

1991 - 2001 EXPLORER 4.0

1992 - 2003 RANGER 4.0 3.0 2.5 2.3

1992-1997 F SERIES PICK UP 7.3

1997 - 2004 F SERIES PICK UP 4.2

1998 - 2001 MAZDA PICK UP 4.2

1992 thru 2003 Ford Ranger with 2.3/2.5/3.0/4.0L Engines.

1992 thru 2000 Ford Explorer 4.0 Liter"

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Anyone? I did some more searching around, and it seems like the SOHC and the 302 v8 have the same one, and that the OHV is slightly diffrent... but how much diffrent? Are the plugs/brackets/pulley the same, or only requiring some minor modifications?

All of these alternators seem to be 130Amps and look alike, and essentially go on the same vehicle type, so I don't see what the point would be for Ford to make them incompatible. Some sellers from ebay have told me they're the same OEM alternator for all Explorers... Any insight would be greatly appreciated, I really don't want to end up with an alternator for a truck I don't have... Thanks!

The price? NAPA (Canada) at 339.99 + tax and a few parts stores... one of them is called Canadian Tire, and is usually the cheapest... still, they quoted me 289.99 for a rebuilt Hitachi alternator or something similar. :rolleyes:

Buy one from here in the US, be sure to get the SOHC/302 alternator. The mounting holes(one of three) are off on the OHV V6 alternators.
I paid $160 total for my 170 amp alternator, from TN. Good luck,

Buy one from here in the US, be sure to get the SOHC/302 alternator. The mounting holes(one of three) are off on the OHV V6 alternators.
I paid $160 total for my 170 amp alternator, from TN. Good luck,

Holy crap... I just bought an AC Delco rebuilt alternator for $160 at this one place... I've put it in and now I have the battery light that's constantly on, even though it gives me 14.4 V at idle.

There are two things I didn't like about this alternator right from the start:

1) The thick black wire is on the back of the new unit, not on the top like the old one was + it has a small white plastic space for some plug I don't have...

2) The bracket is all messed up... I can only bolt 2 out of the 3 bolts, because the lower-rear bolt bracket is beyond the screw hole.

Damn.... So I guess I have the OHV alternator? I asked the guy at the store twice to make sure, and it even says on my receipt that this is the AC Delco unit for the 4.0L SOHC Explorer, Vin E. When I saw that battery light come on, I wasn't a happy camper. Voltage is ok though, belt tension/trajectory is ok also... I'm really lost here.

Edit: I just checked out rockauto.com and I figured out the problem... they carry the same AC Delco unit, same part number and it has... 95 AMPS! I guess that's pretty bad, considering that my old one is supposed to be at 130.

I am sorry to tell you that you have figured it out.

FYI, that explains something about my 99 truck two years ago. My alternator was gone from the truck when I picked it up. They gave me another alternator(OHV). I didn't know the deal at the time, I test started my engine just before rebuilding the truck. The OHV alternator worked in mine, but the battery light was on. Obviously there is some wiring difference as well as the mounting holes.

I used the given IHV alternator in my 91 XLT later. This 170 amp unit was brand new from a TN business here. You can find much cheaper used or rebuilt units all over the place. Decide on what you need, but get the unit with the matching electrical connections and mounting. Good luck,

Thanks for the info... what a PITA... Now I gotta go out there again, and replace it once more, then go tommorow and exchange it for one that will work properly, and install the new one (I guess after having it "blessed" at the nearest church for good luck, lol).

I hope the guy who sold it to me is there tommorow... He kept reassuring me that this will work 100% like the original I have in my SOHC truck, with absolutely no issues + a lifetime warranty. No comment... :rolleyes:

I keep seeing a 200 amp one on ebay quite often i think it was like $179 or something and they ship to Canada

I keep seeing a 200 amp one on ebay quite often i think it was like $179 or something and they ship to Canada

Yeah, saw it too.. $198. They recommend you change your wire to a higher gauge though, and I don't feel like starting a project here... Just want a working alternator, lol

Anyway, this OHV alternator turns out to be a blessing, actually... after removing it from the truck, I decided to play around with my defective old one. I took it apart, and it turns out that the part that's bad and squeaking are the brush module (part# F6DU-10C359-AA). The brushes are really worn out, and after removing it from the alternator, it turns out that the bearings are quiet and smooth.

So... the OHV alternator is going back to the store for a refund, and then I'm off to Ford for a new brush pack, hopefully they will charge a reasonable price for it. Then I think I might have a working truck yet, hehe :D

I don't know why they are so expensive. I'm in Toronto and I can go to a local starter/alternator rebuild shop and get one for $175.

Back