• Register Today It's free!

alternator upgrade

ThaStoryTella

Reaction score
City, State
columbia,mo
Year, Model & Trim Level
2000 ford explorer xlt
I'm new to the site, so I hope this is in the right place. That being said, I've got a 2000 explorer xlt awd with a 5.0L v8. What's the proper or best alternator to pair with an upgraded audio system? 3000 watts. I've got 0 gauge wire to upgrade the big 3. Any ideas?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I'm new to the site, so I hope this is in the right place. That being said, I've got a 2000 explorer xlt awd with a 5.0L v8. What's the proper or best alternator to pair with an upgraded audio system? 3000 watts. I've got 0 gauge wire to upgrade the big 3. Any ideas?

To achieve 3000 watts of power using 12 volts, the alternator would need to churn out 250 amps., and that in addition to it's other loads, lights, A/C, blower, etc. So, say 350 amps.

IF an alternator having 100% efficiency could be had, that would tap 6 horsepower off the engine, but since only less than 100% is possible, figure more like 10 horsepower. imp

Keeping in mind that you won't be pumping 3000watts while driving (hopefully) you should probably look at a multiple battery setup with deep cycle batteries and capacitors for the surges.

Then I'd look at an onboard mains power charging system for the battery bank so as not to rely on the alternator 100%

These are things you have to do when you're running a system like that.

beware of alternator claims

I purchased a high output (220 amps) alternator on eBay and then took it to an alternator shop that rebuilds alternators for ambulances and fire engines to have it tested. My stock 130 amp alternator max output was 150 amps and the "220 amp" alternator max output was only 160 amps so I returned it. None of the discount auto parts stores have the capability to load test an alternator more than a few amps. I had the local shop custom make a 240 amp alternator with an output that exceeded the capability of the load tester (200 amps). See the link in my signature for more details.

Is your 3000 watts audio power or rms power? Also, it is probably only surge power instead of continuous power. I agree with Flash about using a capacitor bank for the surge, a separate battery and an isolator.

Hate when people think is appropriate to blast other people ears with their noise pollution.
We have radios in our cars too, don't need to be "entertained" at stop lights by a rumbling POS bass. Civilization in public spaces...

Hate when people think is appropriate to blast other people ears with their noise pollution.
We have radios in our cars too, don't need to be "entertained" at stop lights by a rumbling POS bass. Civilization in public spaces...

I echo your sentiments. Lets not forget the safety factor with the inability to hear Emergency Vehicles approaching. I'm sorry is no excuse for causing injury to others since I don't consider it an accident, but rather an accident waiting to happen.

With that much audio power I assumed he was using his system for competition.
I would hope that the OP doesn't doof doof his fellow road users into oblivion.

I do think it's quite rude to assume that people are going to do the worst possible thing with their equipment and then say so.

I second what has already been written. Put in a second battery and boost cap behind an isolator. If you had the RMS music output past the reserve the existing alternator is capable of then you'd go deaf (so the system was pointless). That will support far higher volume than needed for the interior of an SUV. Put the battery on the right side of the vehicle... left side already has enough extra weight built in.

Most of this is nonsense, if one adheres to the thought that our vehicles were intended to get us from place to place, rather than provide palaces of pleasure. Just my 2 cents. imp

Most of this is nonsense, if one adheres to the thought that our vehicles were intended to get us from place to place, rather than provide palaces of pleasure. Just my 2 cents. imp

Of course most of us on this forum don't regard our vehicles as simply A to B transport otherwise we'd all be driving Priuses.
As for 3000 watts of music, I can't see a reasonable use for that except for competition for which I can't see a reasonable use either.

I add that I don't advocate making an ####### of yourself while driving your customised vehicle.

Back