Alternator?? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Alternator??

tracker1962

Reaction score
City, State
Cornwall. ON.
Year, Model & Trim Level
Hi all, hope you can help and I'm in the right section to post?
Found myself with my 04 Explorer starting funny for a few days and then dying. Battery down! Got the alternator bench tested today and it's putting out power but only 13 some volts. New battery in the vehicle. Ordered in a used alternator to replace it but not in yet. Pull the + cable from the battery when it's running and the truck still runs. Volt meter at the battery still shows a slow decline in charge never over 11.60 volts and then going down slowly as I let the truck idle.
Thinking it's the alternator? But it's only 4 years old??
Any thoughts before I take ownership of this other alternator on order that I can't return?
Thank for the help. Tracker.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Thinking it's the alternator? But it's only 4 years old??

Just did this with my '04. Engine off Battery was about 12.5v running 11.6v. My other truck which had a new alternator and battery, off 12.8v running 13.3v-14v. Put in a Reman for $130 and all is fine.

When ordering there are two types of Alternators, with Black Cover or without cover (silver) they are different part numbers. Mine had the black cover on the back side.

I thought mine was attributed to when i was putting in a new stereo because i killed the battery a few times and had to jump it.

Hi BroolynBay, the battery was put in new from the dealership when I purchased the truck. It's taking and holding a charge just fine. It's looking like my scenario is the same as jrford. It looks like the alternator is putting out power but just not enough to keep up completely. I have ordered in a used one from a local scrap yard as new ones in Canada here are $300. We are not sure if it's a 110 or 130 amp unit I need but since I have A/C, we have ordered the 130 amp unit. Should be here next Tuesday or so. Hope it's a match. In the meantime, I stay close to home when using the truck and keep the battery topped off.

I was wondering why you said not to disconnect the battery with the truck running? Things might have changed but in the old days, this was the "for sure" way to check and see if the alternator was putting out power. TX Tracker.

The alternator is working with the battery, and by disconnecting the battery, the voltage will go very high (unregulated). This is not good for the electronics, and could cause a premature failure of the PCM, GEM, ABS or SRS modules.

Thanks BrookynBay, It's been a long time since I tinkered with cars and I did not know this.
The next two tasks are to fix my 4x4 solenoid, I believe it is as my 4x4 light is flashing and get one of the back windows working. I will post new when I get to working on those if I need help.
I will report on the alternator problem when I get the other one in. TX, Tracker.

They only come in one size 130amps. Biggest thing was the Black cover.

Thanks jrford. It seems that I'm headed in the right direction as that is the one that is on order. Looks like I will have this fixed early to mid next week. Tracker.

If you NEED an alternator, like I did... Go here "Alternator Pros" in Arizona.

http://www.starterpros.com/privacy.htm

FREE FEDEX OVERNIGHT.

I got the 130 Amp for my 1999 Explorer.

Works great.

Thank You to all. Put in my replacement unit this morning and I'm now getting 13.5 - 13.8 volts upon initial test. Seems like that solved my problem.
I got lucky as the unit that came in, I'm 95% sure is a "rebuilt" unit. It show all the signs of being so and looks like it didn't have much road time after being refurbished. Thank again. Tracker.

Back