ALUMINUM THERMOSTAT HOUSING

Arne52101

Reaction score
City, State
Decorah
Year, Model & Trim Level
Eddie bauer 06 4.0l
Hello
2006 Explorer EB with 170,000 miles on it, original trans and engine. The only problem this Explorer has is it has been leaking from upper radiator hose and or at the thermostat housing. I have replace the radiator twice and the ome thermostat housing once. Other then this it has been trouble free.

Who has replaced there ome thermostat housing with the ALUMINUM THERMOSTAT HOUSING. If so, did it help,
and what kind of hose clamps work the best.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Much recent discussion regarding aluminum thermostat housing kits. There are three aftermarket choices consisting of Simmons Autosportz, Austekk, and a generic eBay model sold by Tom Auto Parts. Regarding OE "constant tension" hose clamps vs. stainless worm drive it's a personal preference. I prefer the OE design because of the even pressure but find them a PITA in confined spaces such as the short water pump bypass hose. Lisle and others make a special tool, but a bent nose pliers usually works in a pinch.
4.0 SOHC Metal Thermostat Housing Comparison
Thermostat Housing: Why they leak and permanent fix

There is also a newer OE Motorcraft RT-1220 replacement aluminum housing for 2006-10 (Gen 4) engines. Search and GL.

I just bought one for my son's 07 but did not install it yet....

Much recent discussion regarding aluminum thermostat housing kits. There are three aftermarket choices consisting of Simmons Autosportz, Austekk, and a generic eBay model sold by Tom Auto Parts. Regarding OE "constant tension" hose clamps vs. stainless worm drive it's a personal preference. I prefer the OE design because of the even pressure but find them a PITA in confined spaces such as the short water pump bypass hose. Lisle and others make a special tool, but a bent nose pliers usually works in a pinch.
4.0 SOHC Metal Thermostat Housing Comparison
Thermostat Housing: Why they leak and permanent fix

There is also a newer OE Motorcraft RT-1220 replacement aluminum housing for 2006-10 (Gen 4) engines. Search and GL.

Hello swshawaii

Thanks for the advice, Just ordered the Simmons 1 piece thermostat cover on ebay today. hopefully this will be the last one. Last T cove I put in was in 1/8/18, Ford OEM. Didn't even get 1 year of it.
Do you know what size the constant tension hose clamps are and where to order?

No idea for sizes, but correct diameters are critical for constant tension clamps. Are yours weak or broken? I've never had an issue reusing them before. I also looked on various on line Ford parts dealer sites and couldn't find the clamps. Bent needle nose pliers worked for me, but there's also specific tool made for them. Not cheap and possibly made by Lisle.
Sears.com

Simmons t-stat housing seems like a winner, but the Ford aluminum replacement part looks good too. Thermostat not included.
AL2Z-8575-A - Genuine Ford Thermostat Assembly

I installed the Simmons T-stat housing back in 2014. It has been working fine. The only issue I have is that the coolant has been seeping out from the joint between radiator hose and the housing's neck. I have tried using 2 hose clamps and applied sealant, and the leaking issue continue. The leak is pretty minor (but annoying), only happened when the truck is running hot (typically in the summer, going up hill). The radiator hose is brand new Motorcraft. I suspect the leak is due to the finish of the hosing neck, it is rough (not polished) and so the hose can't get a very tight seal.

Just a word of advise: if you are going to the trouble to replacing the t-stat housing, replace the other hoses around it. With the age of the truck, those hoses are getting brittle and can easily crack once disturbed.

Back