Aluminum upper intake for 95 4.0l

Gamer77

Reaction score
City, State
New Columbia
Year, Model & Trim Level
1995 explorer xlt
95 explorer xlt 4x4 4.0l ohv

Leaking upper manifold when I got it. They left old rings in an installed the aluminum intake gasket. Wrong gasket so I got old rings out they were hard an cracked.

Replaced with mahli brand d rings. They fit in very deep. Replaced gasket under fuel rail. Its leaking again. The plastic plenum is wet above fuel rail.

Are there thicker seals u can recomend? Is it worn? I dont understand how itd wear deeper in groove?

Is it better to go aluminum? I've seen rangers an explorer's up to 94 with aluminium upper an it looks the same? Do they fit an seal better. Ik they use a paper gasket.

Thanks for any advice on this

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

that is strange
I have seen this mistake made a time or two, putting paper gasket where the O rings are
I would NOT think the plastic intake could be worn out but it could warp from being smashed down with the gasket and O rings in there?
I would take your plastic upper plenum and put it on a piece of glass or metal table, is it still flat and flush?
You may need another plastic intake?

Putting the aluminum upper on a 95+ is not really possible, the computers changed, the plastic intake has provisions the metal intake does not.....I have never tried but I don't see this as a viable solution
I have a couple of fuel rails and upper intake plenums here if you need parts I can ship, I have recently replaced 3 96+ OHV engines and have some parts

Actually did that last nite before I read ur reply. Figured why not if it needs replaced.

Used glass n sand paper I could tell right away it was warped. Sanded it till I felt enough seal stuck out. So far so good. No more gas smell in exhaust. Still looks dry. I think he kept tightening it down trying to seal it.

Apparently it blew a head gasket which he replaced. I'm kinda wanting to look into that n just do a full gasket job n maybe heads while at it. From the other work he did it bothers me not knowing how it was done. It's got a bad lifter or rocker i can hear the light tap when cold. So gotta get into it anyway.

That's a really kind offer. I had sand it allot. You think it's more likely to crack now? Seems pretty thick there but I never had a plastic intake before.

If you got it flat then sweet! It should be good to go now

I LOVE doing head gaskets on the OHV 4.0 when I know I have a good one, a good runner with good compression and no loss of coolant or coolant/oil mixing. That is the BEST TIME to do the head gaskets and lower intake manifold, BEFORE they come apart or crack.
You can revive an old OHV this way because they are bombproof engines that run forever UNLESS they develop intake leaks and head gasket issues......

For a ticking lifter first make sure the noise is not:
EGR/exhaust leak
Timing chain tensioner tick (front of engine by crank damper)
Camshaft POS sensor noise (rear of engine, usually a chirp but can also click/tick)
Low oil pressure issue

Then do head gaskets, and replace/ inspect all pushrods, rocker arms and lifters before replacing
Melling lifters are pricey for the pushrod 4.0

Plastic intakes are good because they keep the intake air cooler as it enters the combustion chamber
You just have to keep them from leaking around the base (like you did) and the EGR tube (big green O ring)

Wow those lifter are crazy expensive.

I'll chk those other things when I'm in there for sure. Can roller lifters be cleaned?

Ok so I'm bk working on it. Got a new issue. The evap line to Tb was clogged so of course I clean everything when apart. Now I can hear air leak its loud but I cant find it. Its definitely a hiss on drivers side near front. Also at idle very rough an a whistle at times.

Things I've replaced before this problem. tps iac pcv

I'm thinking this. My gas smell was really from a filled canister with no vacume. also gas in intake before from clogged evap. Now it's got vacume I got a bad line or open purge valve that needs replaced causing a huge vacume leak. Its idling at like 400rpm then goes up for moment trying find 800 or so.

Had find it...under the battery. Going order one. Does it sound like that might cause this?

Thanks again for you help an advice

Back