• Register Today It's free!

AM/FM radio antenna broke

KevN2009

Reaction score
City, State
Sarasota, FL
Year, Model & Trim Level
1999 Explorer Sport 4x4
Hi all! One day I noticed my antenna was gone off the passenger side fender. I figured it loosened up and fell out at some point. I ordered a new OEM replacement from eBay, this part #

Genuine OEM Ford Antenna Mast AL8Z18813A​

It would screw in. When looking down the hole, it appears there's no threads, as if the old piece may be broken in there. I can't a way to take off the piece where it mounts/screws in to.
Frist off, is this the correct part I ordered? And second, how do I go about getting in there or somehow pulling the mount up out of the fender from the top??. I can see thru the passenger side door in the fender well, but just to look. I attach pictures from that view. Thanks in advance for any help and assistance!!

Kevin

1.jpg

2.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

The antenna screws into the top on the outside of the vehicle. I will post pictures in the next post.

Here they are.

That should be the right antenna. Take a bright flashlight and look down the hole you should see the threads. If not take a piece of wire and stick it all the way down mark where the top is and compare the length to the new antenna this will tell you if the old antenna broke at the threads. If the antenna broke off then you could try to extract the broken piece just like a broken screw or replace the mount.

That should be the right antenna. Take a bright flashlight and look down the hole you should see the threads. If not take a piece of wire and stick it all the way down mark where the top is and compare the length to the new antenna this will tell you if the old antenna broke at the threads. If the antenna broke off then you could try to extract the broken piece just like a broken screw or replace the mount.
Thanks, do you know how to get the mount off?

I do not know exactly how it removes. I looked at my car and from what I can tell is you remove the wheel well liner and that will give you access to the two bolts that hold the bracket to the inner fender. then the assembly will drop out through the bottom.. The only problem is the wire that goes all the way to the radio. you will need to remove the center dash bezel and the radio to unplug it from the back of the radio. then you will need to fish the wire back through the dash so you can remove the assembly.

The only problem is I have no idea where the wire runs out the the dash at and if anything else will need to be removed. everything that I mentioned is fairly easy to remove except the wheel well liner. The body clips that hold it in can be a pain to remove and you make break them. The center dash is really simple to remove and well documented on here. I would recommend you don't unplug the passenger airbag light in the center bezel it may cause an airbag light to come on. You can just set the entire bezel on top the of the dash to get it out of the way for the radio removal. My best advice is to start with the center dash and radio and see where the antenna cable runs then go from there.

6L2Z-18A984-AA this is the part you need. Looking at the parts diagram there is a connector outside the dash so there is no need to remove the dash to replace it just follow the wire from the mount to where that connector is. my guess is its around a foot or two away from the mount.

check Genuine OEM Ford Antenna Part# 6L2Z-18A984-AA Fits 2006-2010 Ford | Sneed Parts this is what I am using for part numbers and basic diagrams. this is part 2 in the diagram and part 3 is the extension to the back of the radio.

6L2Z-18A984-AA this is the part you need. Looking at the parts diagram there is a connector outside the dash so there is no need to remove the dash to replace it just follow the wire from the mount to where that connector is. my guess is its around a foot or two away from the mount.

check Genuine OEM Ford Antenna Part# 6L2Z-18A984-AA Fits 2006-2010 Ford | Sneed Parts this is what I am using for part numbers and basic diagrams. this is part 2 in the diagram and part 3 is the extension to the back of the radio.
Thank you, yes that looks like it, but getting inside the fender where it's mounted is the problem I'm trying to figure out.

Thank you, yes that looks like it, but getting inside the fender where it's mounted is the problem I'm trying to figure out.
As I said in the other post you have to remove the passenger side wheel well liner and then you will have access from the wheel well to the whole assembly.

As I said in the other post you have to remove the passenger side wheel well liner and then you will have access from the wheel well to the whole assembly.
Sorry I missed your other post somehow. Yes I was doing brakes last week and had the wheel off. I played with trying to remove a couple of the wheel well clips but it seemed difficult without breaking them and then wasn't sure if I could even find new ones if I did get them out.

Is there any chance of extracting the broken threaded piece, being that it is recessed an inch or so, and a very small hole?? What kind of process would that be?

Another thought, does it actually need to be threaded in there to function? My thought was cutting off the new threads and somehow gluing or epoxying the new one in if it would maintain contact with the metal base.

Yes it does need to be threaded and you cant just glue it in. The body clips are a pain you will need a trim removal tool to get them out. The good thing is if you break one or all of them then they are easily replaceable most auto parts stores will have something that will work. Google body trim clips the ones that are a pain are the ones that have multiple little flaps things ( also called xmas trees) are a pain to remove.

You may be able to get it will a small center punch and a left hand drill bit but the total depth is only around a inch and a half from the top of the mount before you drill into the bottom of the mount. I would try it because if you mess it up trying to extract the piece you have to replace it and that's where you are now you only loose the price of the left hand drill bit and/ or screw extractor and some time.

So if I drop the antenna in the hole my radio comes back on. I just can't thread it in. Im thinking it would be worth a shot cutting off the excess threads and using JB Weld in the hole. Thoughts?

Jb weld is an insolator it wont work.

Ok is there something else that will conduct??

There is probally a conductive adhesive but i dont know of one. You also run into the problem of how long its going to last. The antenna can bend a lot under normal use and even further during extreme situations like the car wash. That is a ton of load being put on just a tiny glue joint. The mount really needs to be replaced.

Back