Am I crazy? DIY rebuild on a 5R55E | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Am I crazy? DIY rebuild on a 5R55E

stubborn1

Reaction score
City, State
WISCONSIN
Year, Model & Trim Level
'21 4wd XLT
I have a 98 X with about 155k miles on the clock. Transmission is starting to leak and the torque convertor shudder is starting to get worse. When towing the boat lately (bout 2500# at most), the transmission started to make a grinding noise when cruising in 4th gear (O/D off for towing). It still hasn't thrown any codes yet, but things aren't going to get better.

I'm thinking about buying a transmission rebuilding manual and giving it a shot. I'm fairly mechanically inclinded (pull heads before without major issues) but never have torn into the guts of an auto tranny before. The X is an extra vehicle now so it could be out of commission for a few weeks and not cause any problems.

Am I nuts? Would I be better off buying a junkyard tranny for $600 and being done with it?

Can anyone recommend a good manual for rebuilding and a good supplier for rebuild kits? I've done some hunting and searching over the net, but it looks like I have a few choices.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

No you are not crazy. Here is my *initial advice*. Start by reading the A4LD Rebuild Diary.... (it is a kissing cousin)... Next read the Frantentranny thread, and you will understand the differences between the A4ld and the 5R55.... then read the 5R55E Valve Body Rebuild Diary. Once you have digested all that, come back and I can set you up with the best priced suppliers for anything you need and get you the tools you will also need.

To be honest I cannot recommend using the ATSG manual as your only source of info on a rebuild of the 5R55. The Ford Factory 3 ring binder on the 5R55 is great... and also VERY difficult to find, especially as compared to the 3 ring binder on the A4LD.

Well, I'm thru the valve body rebuild thread and the A4LD rebuild diary - great info. It really helps seeing the color pictures to go along with the descriptions. My basic Ford maintenance CD has all the step by step instructions on the disassembly/reassembly of the guts, but I still intend on buying a separate manual.

I'm not scared away by what I've seen so far. The initial removal will probably occur next weekend. If I'm lucky, I may get into disassembly (if the wife doesn't fill my to do list first).

Now I have a good excuse to buy myself an engine stand :cool:

Doing a 5R55E right now

I'm a first timer at doing a 5R55E also. I have it all apart and the parts are on the way. The sensor ring was busted off the front planet carrier (found on ebay)!! I am also getting a new (used) OD drum and buying a new OD clutch adapter from Ford because the tabs were worn pretty bad.. and of course a rebuilt converter. I was wondering how mant special tools I really need to get this job done...

I was looking at the end play checking proceedure...
>>Is there a way to do this with out the gauge bar... looks like the end play needs to be between .008 and.020 in.

>> how about that turbine speed sensor gauge... what is the specs on that thing..how thick is the "thick" blade and how "thin" is the thin blade?? it doesnt say in the book. I figure the idea is that it is not bent??

thanks

There are certain basic tools you MUST have....(feeler gauges, inch lb torque wrench and maybe a dial caliper for example) some that are highly recommended (seal protectors, clutch spring compressor etc), and others that are really NICE to have (gauge bar etc). The good news is that for some of the specialty tools, I loan them, with a deposit. No reason to try and cut corners when you can use factory tools made to do the job.

Back