Am I experiencing the classic "Death Rattle" | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Am I experiencing the classic "Death Rattle"

andyboy13

Reaction score
City, State
Jasper, AB
Year, Model & Trim Level
1998 Ford Explorer XLT
Hi there,
I have a 99 XLT that has rattled away quietly at idle for a while now. Just recently, it's gotten much louder. I'm wondering if it's coming from an exhaust leak, or what I'm dreading it probably is :(

Here's a video of what I'm hearing. It's definitely on the right side when facing the motor from the front of the vehicle

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

exhaust leak?

I'm not very good with interpreting videos but it sounds more like an exhaust leak to me instead of timing chain rattle. You might try using a length of flexible hose with one end at your ear and then move the other end along the edge of the exhaust manifold gasket.

Hi there,
I have a 99 XLT that has rattled away quietly at idle for a while now.

You should just go ahead and replace the timing chain tensioners anyway before that idle rattle becomes much more expensive.

[MENTION=92913]StreetRod[/MENTION]
Thanks for the insight, that's actually what the old man was thinking as well. I'll see what I can find today.

[MENTION=27706]Flash[/MENTION]
Yea, but its a rust bucket with 295 000k's on her. There are rust holes in the body, a squeek on the front end, needs new winter tires etc.... I'm trying to decide if this is the straw that tips her over the edge

a long screw driver (plastic end held to your ear) also works well to isolate a noise. i have a mechanic's stethoscope and i find the screw driver works better.

Yea, but its a rust bucket with 295 000k's on her. There are rust holes in the body, a squeek on the front end, needs new winter tires etc.... I'm trying to decide if this is the straw that tips her over the edge

I understand. But one day that timing chain will fail catastrophically and I think the chances of it happening in your driveway are very low.

[MENTION=27706]Flash[/MENTION]

Ha ha, true... If that's an exhaust leak, would that be the main problem, or do you think it's the timing chain rattle amplified due to the issue?

Edit:
Well uh oh....
I just went to drop my girlfriend off at work, and this is what decided to happen (luckily she just didn't want to walk in the cold)

You have far more than an exhaust leak there...At 295K she's given you her best years...

Edit: even in Kilometers thats not bad service...

Looks like one more Explorer into the boneyard...:-(

Yea, that's kinda what I was dreading, She owes me nothing. She was a gift with 270 000 on her, and in two years I have done oil changes, the front struts, and changed the rear axle seals (man that's worth it to do yourself $8 in parts vs a $500 quote). Kinda sad to see her go :( Any idea as to what that may be, same spot as the old video

I suggest that you park it and pull the valve cover while it still runs. The SOHC V6 has infrequently thrown a camshaft follower (rocker arm).

Yes, you may as well have a look and see what it is your are dealing with. I would be curious if one of your guides let go...

Back