Am I getting conned by this installation quote? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Am I getting conned by this installation quote?

dannyb420

Reaction score
City, State
Cleveland, Ohio
Year, Model & Trim Level
'04 XLT
I bought a remote start off e-bay. It is the same one that Best buy sells for $199. I called Best buy and asked for a quote to install it. They said it would be around $250 to install it. $50 for the bypass module, $100 to install the bypass module, and $100 to install the actual starter. In addition, they said they would need my spare key to program the bypass module and I would not get it back? I know I need the bypass module, but should there be a seperate charge for the bypass module installation? I am relatively new to the car electornics installation or I would attempt to install it myself, but at the same time do not want to get ripped off.

Thanks for any help, advice, etc!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I bought a remote start off e-bay. It is the same one that Best buy sells for $199. I called Best buy and asked for a quote to install it. They said it would be around $250 to install it. $50 for the bypass module, $100 to install the bypass module, and $100 to install the actual starter. In addition, they said they would need my spare key to program the bypass module and I would not get it back? I know I need the bypass module, but should there be a seperate charge for the bypass module installation? I am relatively new to the car electornics installation or I would attempt to install it myself, but at the same time do not want to get ripped off.

Thanks for any help, advice, etc!

I had my alarm installed by Circuit City. After hearing about the key and the extra charge I decided to skip the remote start. I purchased the alarm there for $300.00 installed. There was an extra charge because the guy said he had to wire each door so I paid around $388.00 with sales tax. Now the dome light doesn't come on when I disarm the car, they want another $25.00 to do that. Thats why I do everything I can myself, at least I know what I have and how to change it.

you think its right to pay $250 to have it installed? If I knew how to so it myself I would, I just think the remote start would be over my head. I appreciate your advice, if anyone else has any more please reply, I really want to be as prepared as possible.

How many hours will it take them?
Most shop labor rates are at least $80 an hour.

Heck I'd say at least read the instructions then decide if you'd be comfortable doing it yourself or not. Personally I'd never pay that much for an install or give away a key. Why would they need to keep it?

Many GOOD alarm installs with remote start take between 4-6 hours to complete.

The reason for them needing the key is because they use a universal bypass module for the transponder. There is a module in the ignition that reads the chip in your key, they key you give them for your truck, is installed in the module and when the remote start is initiated the module sends the keys "code" to the ignition area, to sense the key is there, so the truck can start. If the truck does not detect the "key" your truck will not start.

Ok, that's why I asked. Makes sense to me, but what keeps someone from breaking into that bypass module and simply driving off sense they now have a real key? I've never installed alarms/ remote starters, so I apologize if I sound ignorant.

they dont put the entire key in there, jsut the computer chip doohickey

wrong. the whole key goes in that bypass.

i install at best buy. is it an Avital 4000 that you have and is it going on your '04 explorer? there's two bypasses that can be used for your truck. a 556U or 1100F. the 556U costs less but uses a vehicle key, the 1100F is a bit more expensive but doesn't use a key. a bypass install is only $25 at best buy (unless they have some different skus than i have ever seen and i know prices may vary some based on location but come on). are you wanting remote start only or remote start with keyless entry? it will cost a bit more to do keyless entry with that unit assuming you have the avital. any other questions just ask, think i covered most of it.

also if the cheaper bypass is used (556U), they can't just jump in and drive off with the truck. it gets placed inside that small black box, sealed with 4 screws then zip tied up under the dash with the remote start. when remote started, if you don't have a key in the ignition then as soon as you hit the brake to put the vehicle in gear the truck will die

I don't know about you guys but $450.00 seems darn high to me just for remote start. Like I said before, I got my alarm for $300.00, installed. I know they wouldn't have charged me more than 50 bucks more for the remote start feature and I have a 2-way alarm. I paid extra for the doors but you don't care about doors while installing remote start.

You probably would have been better off going to a real stereo shop and buying from them and having them install it. All local shops here will sell and install remote starts in a PATS vehicle for between 250-300.

03 explorer remote start.....250 installed. Bismarck, ND. Look around for installed prices and ebay your starter.

Agree with all the above. However, If your really not comfortable with leaving the key, then buy a blank with the chip(Ebay, dealer) Cut & Program it(yourself,dealer) then saw off half the key. It will not be able to start the car of someone finds it, yet it will still have the programmed code.

Also, I would not get this type of thing installed by anyone except a real alarm/stereo shop. BB, CC are not reliable.

When I had my Viper 791XV installed, they took the key and ground down the teeth on the key. No worries.

BB, CC are not reliable.

kiss my a$$. talk to the installer(s) that are gonna be doing the work. not all stores are bad. the installer makes the quality of the install, not the store's name!

I didn't say anything about good or bad did I? I said reliable.. The dictionary meaning of that is.....

1 : suitable or fit to be relied on : dependable
2 : giving the same result on successive trials
#2 being the problem. The store is responsible since they hire those installers. And not all installers are the same. Hence the word "reliable" I used.

I didn't say anything about good or bad did I? I said reliable.. The dictionary meaning of that is.....

1 : suitable or fit to be relied on : dependable
2 : giving the same result on successive trials
#2 being the problem. The store is responsible since they hire those installers. And not all installers are the same. Hence the word "reliable" I used.

I also took it mean you are bad mouthing the installers.

You didn't state BB or CC (the stores themselves)were unreliable.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

thank you dan!! i've seen good shops have bad installers and horrible shops have great installers. i install at best buy and our installs are quite reliable (at least they have been since i started bout 5 years ago). there's a local shop that has made a few magazine covers (Independence Audio for ya dan. pretty sure you've heard of them on 23rd ST) at any rate, we've proved them wrong several times and seen some nasty looking installs from there also. they tried to say that a Viper 160 remote start wasn't compatible with a '96 Cavalier. guess what we installed in that car and worked fine

Back