Am i going to have trouble with shackles? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Am i going to have trouble with shackles?

dman726749

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
Greenwood Indiana
Year, Model & Trim Level
96 xlt
i was crawling around under my truck this past week and noticed my factory shackles were pretty damn close to my trailer hitch. i am not sure if warriors or even the cheek autozone shackles would fit in here, and i had plans this summer to do that mod, can anyone give these and tell me if i will have any problems.

ohh and dont look at the rust. ;)

445913_37_full.jpg

445913_38_full.jpg

thanks for all the help. :D

Dustin

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Warriors will probably help that closeness out. The install is easy and you can do it in about an hour or so.

You shouldn't have any problems.. Just take off the spare tire when you start to do the shackles.. Make sure you put the truck on jack stands on the frame. Go to the useful thread forum, there's a good write up on how to install shackles if you have any questions.

It's hard to see in this pic, but I had Warrior shackles on with this hitch. I now have the stock shackles back on it since I did a SOA. I didn't have any problems with either set-up.
Dead Link Removed

It looks close, but you should be OK. The shackles don't travel back and up that far...at least not on mine.

What are you going to do...a TT and shackles...maybe a body lift?

thanks all, i was just worried that the shackles were going to extend back at the same angle and come into contact with the hitch.

as for my plans as of right now its just a tt and shackles for right now, but not till this summer.

Back