Am I the only one that's ordered an XLT?? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Am I the only one that's ordered an XLT??

Fordgrl99

Reaction score
City, State
Unionville Center, OH
Year, Model & Trim Level
2013 Explorer XLT
Seriously. I'm feeling kinda left out... The only posts I see are for Sports...there was a thread I remember seeing that someone's comment really offended me...to the effect that only welfare people with a bunch of kids would order anything but a Sport. I ordered an XLT because it met my needs and was within my price range. I have 1 little one, a hubby and a large dog plus misc "stuff" to haul around....and not to brag but I can assure i've never been on welfare!

I'm giving up my 99 F150 5.4L for this 6cyl and hope it won't disappoint too badly! Anyone with an XLT have good reviews or good experiences? I'm really curious about how the 4wd handles, are there any decent performance mods to boost power, available lift kits, biggest tire it will handle without a lift, etc?

Look forward to some good discussions on here and learning about this vehicle....I do run Ford blue with 3 horses in the garage and a rodeo queen in the driveway! :D

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I think there are way more people ordering xlt's and buying them off the lots, it's just that a lot of them aren't "car people" so I think they are less likely to seek out a car forum.

I don't knock the XLT's or Limited's, or even the base, they offer so many models to fit what each person wants and if that is what you want and it makes you happy then you've made the best choice.

Honestly, the 3.5 V6 is still a very good motor and anyone driving a vehicle from 5 years ago or more would be amazed at the power most of the SUV's have. I do think that finding performance upgrades will be slim and I'm doubting there will be a lot of good lift packages since it's based on a car chasis, but time will tell.

I think your post title says it all, you "ordered" an "XLT". Not many people get to order a car, much less one that starts at $32K on up. The XLT will have the same body and engine as a topped out Limited. Its all a matter of options and a lot of bells and whistles, and some people would rather not have complicated or more things that could break. Personal needs is what you want, sounds like you have what you needed in your XLT. Enjoy!

I commented that more people with low income that push out a bunch of kids regardless buy the xlt but maybe you're not referring to my post.

Anyways, congrats on your order! It will be a major change from your aging pickup. It will be a perfect reason to take a road trip with the fam as soon as you get it! Very smooth quiet and comfy. And better mpg than the old 5.4 too.

Thanks much for the welcoming comments!

When I ordered my 06 GT Mustang in 05 and had a 2+ month wait, I found so much info on the allfordmustangs forum that it only made sense to join here for the Explorer! You learn so much from other owners...

I am looking forward to better mileage and a "newer" vehicle and hope Ford comes through. :) Already found a couple threads discussing some mods....sounds like a catback exhaust is 1st up....but need to research impact to warranty before making any decisions...

Still wondering...how's the 4x4 handle??

...but need to research impact to warranty before making any decisions...

Hi Fordgrl99,

Installing or using any aftermarket product will not necessarily void your warranty. However, if the product fails or causes a Ford part to fail, the cost of the repair and any related damage(s) are not covered by your warranty. If you have any questions about the impact of a particular product, you can always contact the service manager of your local dealership.

Crystal

Yep - I ordered the XLT too. 'even though' I make very good money in High Tech. ;-) Yeah - that is offensive - probably just some kid (physically or mentally) preening for the audience.

I got just about all of the options but didnt want the 20" wheels and didnt need remote start and some of the cosmetic adds on the Limited. (I drove both and feel the 18" wheels rode nicer over the 20", but maybe that is in my head.) Also didnt like the FWD option on the Sport. We are on snow country and AWD/4WD is a big plus for me.

4WD, Leather, Sunroof, minor sound system upgrade, 'connect', MFT, Sync, power/heated seats, power gate & rear row, dimming mirror, etc. 18" wheels.

Seemed to me a very good option. The sales guy was pushing it too saying 'the 202A package is really close to the limited without the limited price'. Well - sorta.. close enough for me. Looked to me like about a 5K difference so it made sense for us. Sticker on the XLT fitted like this was about $41k. We thought a decent value for what you get.

I don't own a 5th gen lime yourself but mine is aIn Xlt. Love it. Im mot one for flashy and sIhowy glitter so I get how you feel. My 2006 was at the time exactly want I wanted. Heck it still is! As for the xlt package I always have been quite happy :-D

Yep - I ordered the XLT too. 'even though' I make very good money in High Tech. ;-) Yeah - that is offensive - probably just some kid (physically or mentally) preening for the audience.

I got just about all of the options but didnt want the 20" wheels and didnt need remote start and some of the cosmetic adds on the Limited. (I drove both and feel the 18" wheels rode nicer over the 20", but maybe that is in my head.) Also didnt like the FWD option on the Sport. We are on snow country and AWD/4WD is a big plus for me.

4WD, Leather, Sunroof, minor sound system upgrade, 'connect', MFT, Sync, power/heated seats, power gate & rear row, dimming mirror, etc. 18" wheels.

Seemed to me a very good option. The sales guy was pushing it too saying 'the 202A package is really close to the limited without the limited price'. Well - sorta.. close enough for me. Looked to me like about a 5K difference so it made sense for us. Sticker on the XLT fitted like this was about $41k. We thought a decent value for what you get.

Ok that is taken out of proportion, I didn't mean it to the people ordering their custom xlts. I know of multiple racing to the dealer to get out of an old mini van into the cheapest xlt possible, the dealers tent to have more of xlt than base models. I did not mean to be offensive, it was stupid of me completely.

Anyways, what do you mean you didn't like the fwd option on the sport? All sports are 4x4, it's not an option. Although they are fwd biased, as any other explorer is.

add me to the XLT

Well, ad me to the XLT group as our unit was build this week. Decided to save some serious cash and build what we wanted, with four buckets, leather, Nav and others.

Still saved $4,000 when compared to the Limited. As long as my wife is happy.

Enjoy the XLT

Retired Ford Employee

Well, ad me to the XLT group as our unit was build this week. Decided to save some serious cash and build what we wanted, with four buckets, leather, Nav and others.

Still saved $4,000 when compared to the Limited. As long as my wife is happy.

Enjoy the XLT

Retired Ford Employee

I wish ours had buckets! Good choice!

Anyways, what do you mean you didn't like the fwd option on the sport? All sports are 4x4, it's not an option. Although they are fwd biased, as any other explorer is.

ahh, my mistake. I was thinking of the 4cyl 2.0 liter EcoBoost engine option which (I think) is only available in FWD config - not the Sport.

So - what I meant was - I prefer 4WD/AWD to FWD, thats all.

This is, basically - AWD and not real 4WD anyway. No locking hub and all that right? Sheesh I hate when they play games with the terminology.

but its all good. I had AWD on the old escape hybrid 2005 and I swear that thing can plow through a foot of heavy snow without even swerving a little. Its very good for a small vehicle. I am totally sold on the AWD thing.

ahh, my mistake. I was thinking of the 4cyl 2.0 liter EcoBoost engine option which (I think) is only available in FWD config - not the Sport.

So - what I meant was - I prefer 4WD/AWD to FWD, thats all.

This is, basically - AWD and not real 4WD anyway. No locking hub and all that right? Sheesh I hate when they play games with the terminology.

but its all good. I had AWD on the old escape hybrid 2005 and I swear that thing can plow through a foot of heavy snow without even swerving a little. Its very good for a small vehicle. I am totally sold on the AWD thing.

I'm not for sure, but I believe it is AWD, no locking hub that I know of but the badge says 4WD but I'm pretty sure it's AWD? Lol

LOL. All the AWD and 4WD comments crack me up! I'm "old school" and would have preferred lockouts with a floor shifter! This whole turning a knob and selecting terrain makes me nervous! Mid Ohio gets just enough winter snow to be a pain. I had to have the salesman explain how the 4WD works on the Explorer before I ordered!

And I have to admit...I placed an order only because I didn't want a bunch of tech toys on it and couldn't find one around here that wasn't totally loaded! My only options were 4WD, moonroof (cause I've never had one in a vehicle), tow package, power lift gate, and I wanted cloth seats...I know, I know...I'm weird. I ordered cloth in my 05 GT too...

Back