Am i the only person that has no problems with mft? | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Am i the only person that has no problems with mft?

I cant help but believe the word must be out on the ford quality problems with mft on the explorer. Our local ford dealer in michigan city indiana has had a shiny new candy apple xlt sitting right out on on the main street in michigan city for everyone going through town to see . The vehicle has been sitting there for 6 weeks and counting. I have been amazed that it has not sold, it has been the only ford explorer on there lot for the last 6 weeks.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

"Could I have opened the manual and learned it? Probably. But I still contend that it should be intuitive, and this is most definitely not."[/I][/B]

Agreed. That comment didn't impress me either. I can read, and will - if necessary :)

I agree that some people are having major issues, black screen, bugs, and so on and I know Ford will try their best to fix those vehicles. Hopefully this month. I just hope Ford does not dumb the system down to satisfy those who wish not to read or feel overwhelmed.

These are exactly the issues that cause concern. Even reviewers have hit these issues and we can't fix them by reading the manual. I hope, just as you do, that they fix those major issues.

I'd like an Explorer - not an Edsel :)

I believe that most of us have a great vehicle. Yes MFT is little buggy for some but I expected that.

Years ago I bought a Pioneer Z2 with nav, Bluetooth, Sirius, voice command, touch screen, ect..... Pioneer had issues with hard drive failure, Sirius, and black screen of death but a firmware update saved the unit. Most units were fine and some had issues, same story here.

Most of the MFT posts on this site are just basic misunderstandings of the system (I am not down playing peoples real issues like having to pull a fuse or battery cable or A/C cutting off when someone cancels a route, those issues are unacceptable).

Nav maps, radio on or off, cell phone issue, how do I get to the trailer hitch, and so on. Everyone needs to read their manual so that this site can go back to helping people solve real issues, what’s cool in the mod market, and if needed make Ford aware of issues to satisfy their owners.

What this site has become is lets scare the heck out of potential purchases or new owners.

Sorry for the rant it's just been building for weeks, I am off my soap box.

I cant help but believe the word must be out on the ford quality problems with mft on the explorer. Our local ford dealer in michigan city indiana has had a shiny new candy apple xlt sitting right out on on the main street in michigan city for everyone going through town to see . The vehicle has been sitting there for 6 weeks and counting. I have been amazed that it has not sold, it has been the only ford explorer on there lot for the last 6 weeks.

That really means nothing. One of our closest dealerships had a loaded Limited with just about every option. It sat on their lot for a good month, and not because they were not selling Explorers. They were "selling" about 3 a day at least. Customers were coming in, driving the limited and then ordering or attempting to dealer trade for the Explorer they actually wanted. The dealer we are getting our Ex from has three on the lot, but we aren't getting one of those and are instead getting our own.

It's possible that dealer could be selling Explorers hand over fist, but people don't want the specific build that is there. I know the dealers around here only ever keep most of the Explorers on their lot for a week if that. The dealership we are getting ours from had a nice Silver one when we were first in, and when we came back two days later it and one other was sold, and this was during the week.

you might want to read this brand new survey ranking Ford highly, it specifically addresses why pushing the envelope and bringing new innovative products to the consumer can increase satisfaction despite the bugs that come from being on the cutting edge of technology:

For immediate release - Tuesday, July 12, 2011

San Diego – Strategic Vision Inc. (SVI) presented results of their 2011 Total Quality Index® (TQI) today, revealing the importance of understanding the consumer's definition of “Quality” as being reflected in the “Total” sum of the emotionally relevant experience for the new car buyer.

“Ford—a quality leader in our study—innovated, and we who count problems discovered that Ford received a large number of complaints primarily about one thing, Sync.—an in-car connectivity system. Does that warrant their ‘tumble’ in some quality metrics?” Darrel Edwards, Ph.D., Chairman and Founder of Strategic Vision does not think so. “Decades ago, we decided to measure ‘Quality’ from the ‘Total’ perspective of the driver/owner, because this is how people actually judge ‘Quality’ in terms of the decision to purchase or not,” says Dr. Edwards. “The number of complaints is considered, but there is absolutely justification—even requirement—for also considering the total positive experience created for the owner/driver,” continues Dr. Edwards.

Chaney continues, “Case in point, when Apple released the first generation iPhone it had a number of problems unique to its innovative position. I suppose it could have been subjected to a simple quality study which would have deemed it among the worst of solidly built, but innovatively boring, competitors. However, billions of dollars in profit and $335 per share later, competitors to Apple are desperately chasing the iPhone's tail winds—with some being left in the dust. When our Total Quality data is used correctly, companies don't find themselves asking ‘How did we get so far behind?’ Rather they ask, ‘how do we remain in the lead.’”

I had one black screen a few days after purchase, pulled 29 fuse and its been working well since, about a 60 days , THe only issue is the bluetooth noise at highway speeds,unfortunatly one of the most important options in my world

Ohhhhhhhh... the shame of it all. I seriously think some people on here work for GM. How many times does someone have to say the following. Approx 65,000 units sold for MY 11. How many people on here? Does anyone have a number of how many Explorer owners for MY11 are here on this site. Most of who are only here because their vehicle doesn't work. Hence, all the whining and *****ing. It's not 27% of 65,000. It's 27% of a bunch of pissed off owners. Rightfully so. But don't come on here and say that the Explorer is a failure. In my neck of the woods they can barely keep them on the lot. Only reason they are on the lot is because of the price. There are more Explorers that work perfectly fine. Like mine does... than lemons. I HAVE SAID IT BEFORE..... there are always bad vehicles in every batch. Doesn't matter who makes it. Your bound to get ****ty vehicles now and then. That's why these sites popped up. It gives the lemon owners a place to ***** and moan. It's also a place for satisfied customeres such as myself to come and say how much I enjoy it. No I don't work for Ford. I'm a soldier. Love my Explorer. Love MFT, works great for me. Love everything about the vehicle. You don't like yours SELL IT and go by a Hyundai or Lexus. Cheers

chimoman - I'd agree, it is a biased survey here, and you will have more people with issues. Nonetheless there are issues and its in the public eye.

I work in software, and I have to give Ford kudos for applying a team to this forum to try to deal with the issues, commissioning their own survey and doing other damage control pending release of the software update. That software update is all I need (okay - I want my Costco discount back too :) ) to order a new Ex Limited.

I'm REALLY happy to hear that some are having no problems at all - I just don't want to be the one with the problem car while my friend in their Santa Fe laughs :)

Ok .... and since you are from NB, can I by chance get you to go here and vote if you want Sync services in Canada? I think that is something everyone can agree on :)

http://www.thefordstory.com/your-ideas/technologies/infotainment/sync-services-in-canada/

I just got my ex thursday and I already have problems with the MFT. Yesterday it just froze up, then said contact your dealer and got all garbled up. I couldn't turn up or down the volume from the steering wheel. I couldn't do anything actually. I'm not happy about that, but I was actually expecting problems. I also have problems with the doors not wanting to lock or unlock when I touch the door handle. If it's unlocked, it will sound likes it's trying to unlock, but I want it to lock. Same with locking it. My phone also got messed up syncing it with MFT.

I had one black screen a few days after purchase, pulled 29 fuse and its been working well since, about a 60 days , THe only issue is the bluetooth noise at highway speeds,unfortunatly one of the most important options in my world

I'm perfectly happy with my Explorer. I just believe that you have to take the gripes with a grain of salt. Sure, sometimes everything does work exactly as it should. But, a good dealer can set it right.

As for the bluetooth noise, I was bothered by that for awhile. My quote from the bluetooth noise thread might provide some help:

I talked to the salesman who sold me my Explorer and asked him if he had heard complaints about the "wind tunnel" effect on the receiving end of phone calls. He suggested that it might be the A/C fan turned up and blowing into the mic. I lowered the fan during calls and folks told me it cleared up fine. The speaker phone echo effect was slightly present, but the "wind tunnel" was gone. Just a suggestion.

I'm 95% happy with ours.. No black screens, no lock ups, I've posted 3 videos of how quick my MFT is and I'm not a light user.

Climate works, Radio works, Navigation works, bluetooth works. The only issue I'm having now is no audio when ipod is playing but I'm sure a fuse pull will fix it however I'm waiting for the dealership to look at it so they can document it officially. Besides that, everything has been fantastic.

And as a current owner reading these forums, I'd still buy another if given the chance all over again. As being on many forums and being a moderator of some, I know that the majority of posts will be complaints because people come on specifically to complain.

No Problems???--Dont't Believe

I purchased the X in Feb, 2011--great expectations and promises. Problems since day #3. Rebooting, slow, Nav not working, backup camera & SD card issues, etc---and on and on..... I am glad for those of you that have not experienced problems but I would suggest that most not complaining have not tried to use all the features promised. I do like the car but am totally dissapointed with the MFT/Synch and Ford's response to fixing the problems which they admit are there. I am very reluctant to advise friencd and family to buy Ford with these features!!

I own an '11 XLT..delivered in April. I stopped coming to this forum because it seemed like it just became a ***** fest(excuse my French).
How many times do the same people have to complain about their MFT???
I have had 2 "glitches" with mine..neither time did it require a service date, a fuse pull or a battery disconnect. I understand the frustration of those that have very buggy units, I would be very upset as well. But, on the other hand continually posting on a forum doesn't get you anywhere(or only gets you so far).

It has been stated numerous times how you will always hear the complaints over those satisfied(and even when there are polls to express the satisfaction those not poo poo it!).

The other thing that gets me is those that DON'T own the vehicle, but seem to have a lot to say about the "issues". Sitting at a dealership, playing with the system for 10 mins & taking a 15 min ride really can't give you the feel for how this car drives, handles & WORKS!

I am all for knowledge...I like being ahead of the curve in knowing what I may or may not have to look for in the future.
But, I also think forums tend to magnify even the slightest of problems/quirks/issues.

This is my opinion.

well, I've only had my Ex for a couple of weeks so take my comments for what it's worth.

Other than the occasional USB music cutting out for a second or two, I've had next to no problems. Once, I didn't let the MFT boot up properly before trying to get SYNC to do a command, and ended up just bogging down the system. That was my fault. Otherwise, been working fine.

I'm in agreement that most of the problems people complain of seem to be because they either don't read the manual or are just plain impatient. I'm also in agreement that the constant complaining about the same things is getting old. And, if you ordered your Ex 3-4 months ago and you don't still have any info, don't blame Ford. It's clearly your dealer's fault and you need to find a different dealer. There. got that off my chest, thanks.

Hooray for all who have had no problems, but that does not give reason to discount the pain of the ones that have. And I am not referring to learning curve problems.
I have been waiting for this vehicle to arrive and finally bought one this July. It black screened before I got it home. Ford's "fix" is to remove the battery cable! Sorry but that is not a fix. The main remedy by ford is to provide training.. So they are not acknowledging the serious problems.
I did not find any reference to these serious problems in the main stream media before purchasing unfortunately.
I sadly returned the vehicle the next day and negated the deal.
Had ford given any warm fuzzy that they acknowledged a problem and were seriously going to fix it rather than indicate a reboot is a fix, I may have held on to it.
And you can not equate this to iPhone or PC problems and say it is to be expected because it is new. This is transportation and very disruptive to have routinely failing and returning to the dealer.
Ford also has no clue just how bad the problem is if everyone reboots it themselves without them knowing.

Maybe it was a lemon I got...but sure appears to be a lot of lemons here.
Sad because I really liKed it and now I have to find something else to buy.

Globewalker,
Sorry to hear that you were unhappy and returned it. I too wish Ford will step up to the plate and let all of us know what is going on.
My Xlt is 7 months old and has 10000 miles on it. Despite having it back 5 times in the first 8 weeks for issues which were all fixed. I still have not brought it back to the dealer for any MFT issues. I think it would be a waste of time to do it because there as it stands, is no fix. It is laughable the things that have happened to it from radios turning themselves on to phones dialing numbers that aren't there. The nav is useless. Ford should give everyone a refund for that useless piece of crap. i have a portable 80.00 one that works a lot better.
I am giving it a few more months before I go back to an Expedition which my last three vehicles were.
Notice, a note to Ford corporate. I have a magnetic yellow LEMON sign which I will put on if this is not fixed very soon. I last used this sign when I had a 1980's econoline van which Ford took back as a lemon after 16 months.
I am still a Ford lover having had the past 13 vehicles which were all Fords!
The 2011 Explorer is a great vehicle and will sell a lot if ithe MFT/MFT issues can be remedied.
Sorry to vent.
Jim K

I am not discounting anyone's problems. But, it seems the same folks post over & over again..and it appeared that this(from those that also post on the Explorer FB page) turned people off from coming here.

We all agree we WANT to know when someone has a problem & how/if it was fixed.
I am still on v2.7..and with the 2 small glitches I felt no need to go running to the dealer for them to pull the battery. Instead, I waited..an hour later it all came back up. I don't have NAV..especially after listening to all the problems folks before me were saying. WHY would I want to pay $850 for a lousy(and sometimes useless) nav system when there are so many nice $250 Garmins with lifetime free maps? Integrated nav systems are the biggest car scams(IMHO).

I hope everyone gets a fix, replacement or has the ability to sell the ones that are faulty.

My X was purchased in April. The MFT has been THE problem with the vehicle. It has been to the dealer 3 times since I got it to fix/repair upgrade the MFT. Lately it has been "updating" frequently.

People whom I call using the blue tooth regularly complain about the noise which is bad when I am driving 60-70 mph. When stopped they say the noise is not bad. I have two different phones on two different carriers and it is the same issue. When it rains the bluetooth is useless because of the rain noise. My 08 had the mike in the mirror not in the uninsulated roof and never had that issue. I believe it is poor design and engineering. The area around the mike is empty so any roof noise gets amplified. Lack of insulation makes me wonder also.:usa:

This is fantastic-----let's fix the ones that are not now working correctly!!
the poll on here showed the vast majority of owners, 86%, have had no issues or minor issues.

73% of mft owners surveyed are satisfied with mft, which is a greater satisfaction rate than sync when it was launched.

As with sync, the satisfaction rate is expected to increase as people get through the learning curve and become more familiar with its operation.

As an aside, the latest computer satisfaction survey published on rates owner satisfaction for apple computers at 77% .

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Ohhhhhhhh... the shame of it all. I seriously think some people on here work for GM. How many times does someone have to say the following. Approx 65,000 units sold for MY 11. How many people on here? Does anyone have a number of how many Explorer owners for MY11 are here on this site. Most of who are only here because their vehicle doesn't work. Hence, all the whining and *****ing. It's not 27% of 65,000. It's 27% of a bunch of pissed off owners. Rightfully so. But don't come on here and say that the Explorer is a failure. In my neck of the woods they can barely keep them on the lot. Only reason they are on the lot is because of the price. There are more Explorers that work perfectly fine. Like mine does... than lemons. I HAVE SAID IT BEFORE..... there are always bad vehicles in every batch. Doesn't matter who makes it. Your bound to get ****ty vehicles now and then. That's why these sites popped up. It gives the lemon owners a place to ***** and moan. It's also a place for satisfied customeres such as myself to come and say how much I enjoy it. No I don't work for Ford. I'm a soldier. Love my Explorer. Love MFT, works great for me. Love everything about the vehicle. You don't like yours SELL IT and go by a Hyundai or Lexus. Cheers
You have got to be kidding!!! When you pay an additional 8K for a vehicle for the "latest in tech stuff" do you think the answer should be to sell it and buy something else??? I have been a loyal Ford owner previously but am really pissed off at their response to this MFT/SYNCH major problem.

Back