AM Radio - any connection to roof fix??? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

AM Radio - any connection to roof fix???

dencan

Reaction score
City, State
Monroe, CT
Year, Model & Trim Level
'11 Limited
So I brought in my Explorer for the MFT upgrade and the rain noise issue. I noticed that my AM radio is now inoperable as the static is horrendous. At first I thought maybe it was the MFT upgrade, but I am thinking maybe it could be something with the roof fix? Is there an AM antenna in that area? I am really so done with this. AM radio should not be a difficult thing to have! Not to mention that it finally rained and the rain noise was not noticeably better.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Noticed also the am is terrible after update, was also in for the rain noise they did not really say if they completed it or not, paper work was going to be mailed to me. Seeing the nightmares with expanding foam all over other posters interiors I will not complain if it wasn't completed as it is a lease.

So I brought in my Explorer for the MFT upgrade and the rain noise issue. I noticed that my AM radio is now inoperable as the static is horrendous. At first I thought maybe it was the MFT upgrade, but I am thinking maybe it could be something with the roof fix? Is there an AM antenna in that area? I am really so done with this. AM radio should not be a difficult thing to have! Not to mention that it finally rained and the rain noise was not noticeably better.
To the best of my knowledge, the AM/FM/Satellite antennas are all contained within the single roof mounted antenna. I believe the base of the antenna is for the satellite reception.
I am taking mine in tomorrow for the 12B36 program and an oil change. I initially asked them to do the rain noise TSB but after reading the various posts, I have asked them to delay that until later. I'll evaluate it some more. To be honest, I haven't really been bothered or noticed the noise that much. I can't comment on the AM reception since I don't listen to it in the vehicle at all.

Peter

I have had my car in twice to address the static in the AM radio. In the last 3 months ths great radio has gone down the drain. The receipt from the dealership that checked the radio recommended that maybe I need a longer antenna and they mentions a 32 inch might do the trick. I believe the Tech was being a real smart.....! I do like the car, but this has been a real negative experience trying to get things fixed.

I have had my car in twice to address the static in the AM radio. In the last 3 months ths great radio has gone down the drain. The receipt from the dealership that checked the radio recommended that maybe I need a longer antenna and they mentions a 32 inch might do the trick. I believe the Tech was being a real smart.....! I do like the car, but this has been a real negative experience trying to get things fixed.
If the AM radio reception was good initially and has recently changed, then I doubt the problem is with the antenna.
If it really bothers you and you're willing to pick up the cost, I would suggest tasking it to a car audio shop.

Peter

Does somebody even listen to AM radio? :)

I read somewhere that we are in an active period for solar activity/sun spots. Will continue thru next year. This effects radio, sat., etc.
Don't know if it effects am more than fm.

new to ford,
I'm with you. Last time I listened to am was 2006. Driving a truck in Philadephia. Always listened to all news station for traffic updates every ten minutes.

The best sports radio station is on am.

I finally brought in my car for a bunch of things and the am radio was one. They called me a couple of days later to say everything was done and when I asked about the radio they said everything was fine. Really??? When I questioned this the guy said they get really bad reception inside. I asked him to listen to it outside. A day or two later he called back and said they tightened up all of the wires. I asked if it helped and he said I had to be the judge of that. Long story short - it is still awful. THIS is why when people ask me how I like the explorer I say it is OK but these annoying things add up and I wouldn't recommend it to anyone.

I finally brought in my car for a bunch of things and the am radio was one. They called me a couple of days later to say everything was done and when I asked about the radio they said everything was fine. Really??? When I questioned this the guy said they get really bad reception inside. I asked him to listen to it outside. A day or two later he called back and said they tightened up all of the wires. I asked if it helped and he said I had to be the judge of that. Long story short - it is still awful. THIS is why when people ask me how I like the explorer I say it is OK but these annoying things add up and I wouldn't recommend it to anyone.
If the dealer is unable to fix it, assuming there is something wrong, why not take it to an car audio place that specializes in these things? AM radio is far more susceptable to noise, interference and signal blocking than FM. I haven't used AM in the 1 1/2 years I've had the Ex but will try it the next time out.
Just went out and tried the AM radio and pulled in 3 local stations without any problems. This was with the engine off and sitting in a closed garage.

Peter

If the dealer is unable to fix it, assuming there is something wrong, why not take it to an car audio place that specializes in these things? AM radio is far more susceptable to noise, interference and signal blocking than FM. I haven't used AM in the 1 1/2 years I've had the Ex but will try it the next time out.
Just went out and tried the AM radio and pulled in 3 local stations without any problems. This was with the engine off and sitting in a closed garage.

Peter

Peter - don't you think it is unreasonable that the am radio doesn't work on a $44k car which is a year old? A transistor radio sounds better than this thing. It did work at one point in time, so I will have to keep pursuing it with Ford to get this fixed. I'm not taking it to an audio place and paying money to get something which is under warranty fixed. At one point the dealer mentioned potentially replacing the radio all together.

Thanks for checking your radio for me!

You wouldn't recommend the EX because of poor AM reception????? Wow....
I haven't listened to it in years and don't know if it works in my Ex and Icould care less if it doesn't.....

Peter - don't you think it is unreasonable that the am radio doesn't work on a $44k car which is a year old? A transistor radio sounds better than this thing. It did work at one point in time, so I will have to keep pursuing it with Ford to get this fixed. I'm not taking it to an audio place and paying money to get something which is under warranty fixed. At one point the dealer mentioned potentially replacing the radio all together.

Thanks for checking your radio for me!
I definitely agree that the radio should work, regardless of the vehicles cost. I was just concerned that it seemed as though the dealership was unable to resolve the problem and that by taking it to a shop that specializes in car audio, they may be able to pin point exactly what/where the problem is.
Have you tried other radios of Explorers on the dealer lot? If they are getting good reception on the same stations then it should prove to the dealer that there is a problem and that it should be fixed.
Good luck.

Peter

Geez people. Who cares if "you" listen to AM. The OP does and I am with him.

Am radio is still out there, blazing 50,000 watt stations are all over the place. Ads are purchased. Lots of people still listen to it. Sometimes talk is ok you know-it does wonders to keep you awake on a long lonely road.

If someone pays over 40k for a new car, yes, all the features should work. and they should work good.
If they can't even get the AM radio right, how can you trust anything else is?

Geez people. Who cares if "you" listen to AM. The OP does and I am with him.

Am radio is still out there, blazing 50,000 watt stations are all over the place. Ads are purchased. Lots of people still listen to it. Sometimes talk is ok you know-it does wonders to keep you awake on a long lonely road.

If someone pays over 40k for a new car, yes, all the features should work. and they should work good.
If they can't even get the AM radio right, how can you trust anything else is?
I agree. :thumbsup:

"blazing 50,000 watt stations" , except when they have to reduce power to around 10K at night. ;)

Peter

Perfect example of how the explorer became what it is today--

" The 4x4? work? I don't ever use it so I don't know if it works or not"

Perfect example of how the explorer became what it is today--

" The 4x4? work? I don't ever use it so I don't know if it works or not"

I might be mistaken....but I don't believe that AM radio is cutting edge technology today, like 4 wheel drive was when it was first introduced.
Just saying....:bsnicker:

Does the static change with rpm's? It maybe a issue with interference with something in the explorer or the surroundings. The logical fix would be to add shielding to the cable but thats kinda hard when its in the roof.

If the antenna cable goes thru the roof cavity to the antenna, I see how expanding foam might pull the connection loose. That stuff can move a door casing on a house.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

The AM radio reception in mine has always be horrendous and un-listenable. I would be on the complaint bus, but fortunately most of the AM stations in town have added an HD band for simulcast that works most of the time.

Back