• Register Today It's free!

AM radio noise?

edwx

Reaction score
City, State
Jacksonville, FL
Year, Model & Trim Level
2020 Ford Explorer XLT
Can anything be done about am radio noise? I had this promlem about 30 years ago with my first car. I guess we haven't come very far in certain areas. Back then noise suppressor plug wires were an answer. What about now? My am radio defintely sounds great with the engine NOT running.....but when I start it up, it's that same ol' static. Thanks.

There is very little you can do to eliminate that noise. Noise like that is inherant in the design of AM radio's and the amplitude modulation technology. Car radio's are even more susceptable due to how sensitive they are and the torturous enviroment they have to function in. Suppressor spark-plug wires will help somewhat, as will noise filters put into the power feed circuit. Many times not all the noise is generated by the plugs and wires but also by the fuel pump motor. There are noise suppressor kits for those as well. As an alternative, use coax cable for your power wires, also try re-routing the power wires away from the noise generating circuit. I wish I could be more help and maybe there is someone that will read this post and have some new ideas, but for now, you just have to deal with it.

Thanks for the reply. I'll probably eventually upgrade my plug wires. I might do a little more research also. Thanks.

Back