Amazing Gas Mileage on 2013 | Page 4 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Amazing Gas Mileage on 2013

I was able to get 24.3 mpg travel 70 miles each way to the Zoo with the family.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Just finished a highway trip. On the first leg I set the cruise control on 75mph and got 23.8 mpg. The computer and the hand calculation were the same. On the return I set the cruise on 70 mph and when I got into town I dropped down to 65 mph. On this portion the computer said 26.1 and the hand calculation was 25.1. When I put gas in the Ex after the return trip the car was on a slight incline with the front of the vehicle pointing down. I don't know if this effected the fill up. Funny, just going 5 mph less and I got 1.5 more mpg. Still very pleased with the gas mileage for my V6 FWD 4600 lb SUV.

Bama, those are some good numbers. We're hoping we can score some like that on our trip coming up.

Just finished a highway trip. On the first leg I set the cruise control on 75mph and got 23.8 mpg. The computer and the hand calculation were the same. On the return I set the cruise on 70 mph and when I got into town I dropped down to 65 mph. On this portion the computer said 26.1 and the hand calculation was 25.1. When I put gas in the Ex after the return trip the car was on a slight incline with the front of the vehicle pointing down. I don't know if this effected the fill up. Funny, just going 5 mph less and I got 1.5 more mpg. Still very pleased with the gas mileage for my V6 FWD 4600 lb SUV.
Just think how much the mileage would have improved if you drove 60.:)

Peter

Just think how much the mileage would have improved if you drove 60.:)

Peter

Just try to imagine how much gas you would save by not driving it much...Oh wait, Peter, you can! :D

Just try to imagine how much gas you would save by not driving it much...Oh wait, Peter, you can! :D
That is why I only fill up every 4 - 6 weeks. Your too quick today Vince. I was going to add to my other post.

It seems that optimum (advertised) mileage is attained at 55mph. The following is what you can expect to lose in efficiency;
60mph - 3%
65mph - 8%
70mph - 17%
75mph - 23%
80mph - 28%

http://www.mpgforspeed.com

Peter

Although I appreciate the effects going slower has on MPG, it's just not very feasible to drive less than the speed limit on a highway. Sometimes it's dangerous, the rest of the time it just feels so incredibly slow. 70 MPH is a good speed to me.

That is why I only fill up every 4 - 6 weeks. Your too quick today Vince. I was going to add to my other post.

It seems that optimum (advertised) mileage is attained at 55mph. The following is what you can expect to lose in efficiency;
60mph - 3%
65mph - 8%
70mph - 17%
75mph - 23%
80mph - 28%

http://www.mpgforspeed.com

Peter

I've always heard that 55 is the about the best for optimal gas mileage, but i'm not sure that is the speed they use to achieve the advertised mileage. I do 70mph and I get the 19mpg highway that my explorer is claimed. I've even pulled 20-21 when I had stock tires. I also have 4.10s.

Although I appreciate the effects going slower has on MPG, it's just not very feasible to drive less than the speed limit on a highway. Sometimes it's dangerous, the rest of the time it just feels so incredibly slow. 70 MPH is a good speed to me.
I hear you. In most if not all areas of Ontario the max speed on the highways is 100 kmph (60 mph). I must confess that there are times I do set the ACC at 110 (almost 70).

Peter

I hear you. In most if not all areas of Ontario the max speed on the highways is 100 kmph (60 mph). I must confess that there are times I do set the ACC at 110 (almost 70).

Peter

Don't forget, some states have a minumum speed limit. If you drive slower then the minimum you can get a ticket.

The signs use to be posted here in Austin up to 1986 then were removed. Mopac here had a minimum of 45 which was the first I had ever seen. Granddad got a ticket for going 40 on mopac.

Now they don't post the minimums but you can get a ticket for impeeding the flow of traffic if going too slow.

Peter

My mom is from Canada and we go up to Ontario every year. I know what you mean with the speed limit, they are kind of low. I usually set it between 110 (68 MPH) and 120 KPH (74.5 MPH) when I'm up there. :D

Just finished another trip here in Florida, First leg I went 320 miles with about 85% highway at 73 mph (cruise control) and 15% city. I got 24.8 mpg. When I filled up I had to go down some back 2 lane highways with 55 and 60 mph speed limits. So I kept the EX within that range. Now the roads were very flat and there was no traffic, and I know this may sound unbelievable but I got 31.9 mpg. WOW!!! This is with a V6 FWD. This was a hand calculation.

I couldn't agree more! When we go to North Carolina from Michigan in the summer, if you get into those southern Kentucky mountains and aren't going at a decent clip - those trucks are on your tail like you wouldn't believe.

Up here, I don't have such issues. And I-75 through Ohio and northern KY are fine - but the mountainous KY is tough.

I couldn't agree more! When we go to North Carolina from Michigan in the summer, if you get into those southern Kentucky mountains and aren't going at a decent clip - those trucks are on your tail like you wouldn't believe.

Up here, I don't have such issues. And I-75 through Ohio and northern KY are fine - but the mountainous KY is tough.

I know what you mean. We go on I-75 from Georgia all the way to the Canadian border every year. The hills in KY are pretty big. :D

Man I don't know what highways you guys drive but here in South FL on I-95 or the Turn Pike if you are below 70 you are going ubber slow holding up traffic or about to get rammed by a Semi.... heck I'm usually at 75-80 and still get passed a lot. That or it's too slow, if I drive to GA last thing I want to do is drive below 70 lol.

In Florida we have some towns that are known to be big time speed traps. There is one town outside of Gainesville called Waldo. You do not want to be even a few mph over the limit. They will set up speed limit signs less then a mile apart with different speeds. AAA even warns its customers about that place. There are alot of 2 lane roads I travel. When I got the really good gas mileage the other day I was driving the back roads from Alachua to Stark to Inverness. Nothing but old farm highways. It was very pretty country, but the speed limit is not like on the interstate. I just put it on cruise and got the 31.9 mpg and obeyed the speed limit. Which reminds me, I love the fact that the EX on the LCD screen will post the speed limit on the Nav setting. That comes in handy when I do not know the speed limit.

And the speed limit it shows is correct most of the time. When it is wrong, it has always been on the conservative side, so that helps keep us out of trouble :)

Man I don't know what highways you guys drive but here in South FL on I-95 or the Turn Pike if you are below 70 you are going ubber slow holding up traffic or about to get rammed by a Semi.... heck I'm usually at 75-80 and still get passed a lot. That or it's too slow, if I drive to GA last thing I want to do is drive below 70 lol.

You're right. It's just when I'm traveling locally on the highway here (I-185) the speed limit is 65 MPH on the part I drive and I go about 70 MPH on it, sometimes 75 if I'm feeling rushed. But when I go up to Atlanta I usually do about 75 MPH the whole way (sometimes 80 MPH if someone can't decide what speed they want to go so I have to get away from them - so annoying) and the speed limit is 70 MPH a lot of the way. And of course I still get passed a decent amount, but nothing crazy.

In Florida we have some towns that are known to be big time speed traps. There is one town outside of Gainesville called Waldo. You do not want to be even a few mph over the limit. They will set up speed limit signs less then a mile apart with different speeds. AAA even warns its customers about that place. There are alot of 2 lane roads I travel. When I got the really good gas mileage the other day I was driving the back roads from Alachua to Stark to Inverness. Nothing but old farm highways. It was very pretty country, but the speed limit is not like on the interstate. I just put it on cruise and got the 31.9 mpg and obeyed the speed limit. Which reminds me, I love the fact that the EX on the LCD screen will post the speed limit on the Nav setting. That comes in handy when I do not know the speed limit.

The new Explorer loves country roads! I get great gas mileage driving my mom's on country roads. It's pretty darn impressive. I wish my '06 made it so easy to get great gas mileage. :D

Great Mileage

For the weight and size of the explorer, the mpg acheived is great....seen an average of 22mpg from Oregon to Michigan on my last trip and were talking 85-90 through Idaho ,Wyoming, Nebraska, where the limit is 75. A far cry from my 450 at 9 mpg....

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Just drove from St. Petersburg to Cocoa Beach and got 26.7 mpg. Set the cruise on 74 mph for most of the trip. Very Pleased.

Back