Ambient Air Temp - 2012 explorer Limited | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Ambient Air Temp - 2012 explorer Limited

purcyg

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2012 Explorer Limited AWD
All,

Slight fender bender yday (5-10mph) to the front of the explorer and I thought only scratches and some bumper cover misplacement... got in this AM and outside air says -40, then reverts to "---".

So, I'm assuming I've either broken or dislodged the outdoor temp sensor - however, cannot find a good source online for the 2011-2014 models to determine where that sensor is located and/or what it looks like.

Anybody have a good pic or set of instructions that fit this incarnation of the Explorer?

Thanks,
Gregg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

All,

Slight fender bender yday (5-10mph) to the front of the explorer and I thought only scratches and some bumper cover misplacement... got in this AM and outside air says -40, then reverts to "---".

So, I'm assuming I've either broken or dislodged the outdoor temp sensor - however, cannot find a good source online for the 2011-2014 models to determine where that sensor is located and/or what it looks like.

Anybody have a good pic or set of instructions that fit this incarnation of the Explorer?

Thanks,
Gregg

If it is the same as a 14 you remove the lower radiator grill cover from the front bumper cover and it is a small sensor on the right side of that opening. If you have damage there that would explain it.

I can email a PDF copy of the service manual section showing what I said if you would like but I need your email address.

Jason

Thanks, Jason - yes, the damage is to the lower right section.

don't have the SM so would be happy to take you up on the offer of the SM copy. Thanks again!
Gregg

Thanks, Jason - yes, the damage is to the lower right section.

don't have the SM so would be happy to take you up on the offer of the SM copy.
Thanks again!
Gregg

Sent

How it turned out... Got in there and the sensor was smashed...just two pieces left. Worse yet, the plug/harness lead on the wires was also obliterated. Was unable to get it up and running by scavenging parts of the harness.

That harness is part of a much larger and $$$ part#, so will be taking it to someone who can make it work without forcing me to buy that whole set...

Thanks again,
Gregg

The sensor itself has a retail of $12.25 and the repair kit pigtail harness is $41.60

Back