• Register Today It's free! This box and some ads will disappear once registered!

Ambient Lighting for 2016 XLT Aftermarket or OEM

idesi1

Reaction score
City, State
Houston TX
Year, Model & Trim Level
2016 Explorer XLT
I want to install Ambient lighting on my 2016 XLT and I have looked into OEM Factory and aftermarket kits but my issue is how and where do one connect the cables for the lights i.e. on my 2017 Platinum it used to turn on with the lights automatically hence my question is what cable or fuse etc I need to connect the cables so the ambient light turns on with the headlamps.
Also any suggestions on Aftermarket kits?

TIA

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 per year. Gets rid of the ads! New $5 per month "try out" option.

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose fix problems yourself and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments in all forums, and Media Gallery, create and save more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

peterk9

Staff member
Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Russell, Ontario (Ottawa area)
Year, Model & Trim Level
2020 Aviator Reserve
Callsign
VE3
The kits used to be available from the Ford Accessories store but they don't seem to be available any longer. Also they did not have all the lighting functions that the OEM one had.

Peter

idesi1

Reaction score
City, State
Houston TX
Year, Model & Trim Level
2016 Explorer XLT
Thanks for update. the thread is old and the pics are not available anymore

Hockey1972

Reaction score
City, State
Granville,PA
Year, Model & Trim Level
2016 explorer XLT
I have a 2010 f150 as well as my new to me 2016 xlt explorer. F150leds has an amazing site with videos and step by step installation of the ambient aftermarket lights. I saw the 4 strips of leds that go under the driver and passenger seats and plug into a cigarette lighter.
on the f150leds site it shows how to wire into the center console. 2009 - 2014 AMBIENT LED LIGHTING KIT
Would the explorer be the same? I’m not the handiest lady with wiring.

peterk9

Staff member
Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Russell, Ontario (Ottawa area)
Year, Model & Trim Level
2020 Aviator Reserve
Callsign
VE3
I have a 2010 f150 as well as my new to me 2016 xlt explorer. F150leds has an amazing site with videos and step by step installation of the ambient aftermarket lights. I saw the 4 strips of leds that go under the driver and passenger seats and plug into a cigarette lighter.
on the f150leds site it shows how to wire into the center console. 2009 - 2014 AMBIENT LED LIGHTING KIT
Would the explorer be the same? I’m not the handiest lady with wiring.
Welcome to the Forum. :wave:
It would be difficult to say if the wiring would be the same without seeing the wiring schematics. The one linked in your second post would seem easy enough to install except that it would have to be plugged into one of the power points.
Curious if your forum name has anything to do with the 1972 Canada - Russia Summit Series?

Peter

Hockey1972

Reaction score
City, State
Granville,PA
Year, Model & Trim Level
2016 explorer XLT
Welcome to the Forum. :wave:
It would be difficult to say if the wiring would be the same without seeing the wiring schematics. The one linked in your second post would seem easy enough to install except that it would have to be plugged into one of the power points.
Curious if your forum name has anything to do with the 1972 Canada - Russia Summit Series?

Peter
No. My last name is Hockenberry and 72 was my birth year. But I have been asked that before