American Flag Project | Ford Explorer - Ford Ranger Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free! Once registered you can join the Elite Explorers to eliminate ads from the website.

American Flag Project

BSlusser

Reaction score
City, State
Fullerton, CA
Year, Model & Trim Level
99 XLT SOHC
This Independence Day I'd like to involve the vehicle.

Some buddies of mine as well as I'm sure lots of people across the country have put flag mounts in their truck beds in the past. Obviously, not having a bed makes this impossible. What are some solutions for our application?

Join the Elite Explorers $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Tbars4

Moderator Emeritus
Elite In Memoriam
Reaction score
City, State
anaheim hills,california
Year, Model & Trim Level
95 ranger 4x4/ 91 X 4x4
...I'm not sure what type or size you are looking for...A regular full size flag, or just a small flag...
WindowFlag.jpg

...or...
window_canvas_flag_window_graphics.jpg

BSlusser

Reaction score
City, State
Fullerton, CA
Year, Model & Trim Level
99 XLT SOHC
I'm shooting for a full-size, like one you might hang in front of your house. Maybe, 3x5 feet?

Alanslinky

Reaction score
City, State
Milford, CT
Year, Model & Trim Level
ex- 94 Eddie Bauer
What I did once with a pirate flag was I took the ball hitch off of my truck and drilled a flag mount onto my bumper in place of the ball hitch and that worked awesome.

BSlusser

Reaction score
City, State
Fullerton, CA
Year, Model & Trim Level
99 XLT SOHC
Not quite sure what you mean, Alan, but that sounds like the direction I'd like to go in. Did you drill a hole in the actual bumper?

Paraphoe

Go big or go home
Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Willow Grove, PA
Year, Model & Trim Level
'97 XLT
There should already be a hole where the ball hitch mounts in your bumper, unless your X doesn't have the tow package.

BSlusser

Reaction score
City, State
Fullerton, CA
Year, Model & Trim Level
99 XLT SOHC
I just took a look at my bumper and I think I understand now. I do have the tow package, so are we talking about taking that plastic cover off and drilling there?

edit: or, Paraphoe, do you mean just put the flag staff in that hole?

jad2411

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
El Paso, TX
Year, Model & Trim Level
2007 Brown eb
You take off the towing ball and use that hole to mount your flag post, no drilling required :thumbsup:

BSlusser

Reaction score
City, State
Fullerton, CA
Year, Model & Trim Level
99 XLT SOHC
You take off the towing ball and use that hole to mount your flag post, no drilling required :thumbsup:

Awesome thanks! No doubt I will be doing this today

Paraphoe

Go big or go home
Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Willow Grove, PA
Year, Model & Trim Level
'97 XLT
Awesome thanks! No doubt I will be doing this today

Yup, exactly. Just pop out that little plastic jobber and you've got the hole already there. :thumbsup:

Colin's link looks good too, if you've got a hitch.

BSlusser

Reaction score
City, State
Fullerton, CA
Year, Model & Trim Level
99 XLT SOHC
I bought the flag from Home Depot a couple hours ago and brought it home only to find that the staff is too wide for the hole. So I sanded it down and now it rests in there but it's far from street-ready.

That would be perfect, but something (i.e, four people sitting on the bumper) has changed the angle of the bumper in the past year or so and now I can't get any hitch to go back far enough to be secured with the pin. In other words, the lip of the chrome is preventing it from going back from where it needs to be. I know it used to fit in there.

We were able to make it work with the tow hitch on my brother's '02 Ex and took it for a spin, which is when I realized the illegality of this. The flag is 2.5x4 feet and covers the plate pretty well. Should I abort this mission?

Stic-o

Elite Movie Star
Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Lake View Terrace, CA
Year, Model & Trim Level
'91 Navajo '99 X '19 Rngr
no cop is going to pull you over for flying a 3x5 flag off the back of your truck on independance day. If he does, just say "What's up Commy?":p:

BSlusser

Reaction score
City, State
Fullerton, CA
Year, Model & Trim Level
99 XLT SOHC
Success a month later...

P7020103.jpg

The '99, with mesh hosing to increase the surface area of the pressure from the tightened hose clamps, and boot lace to support the middle of the staff.
P7020104.jpg

And my brother's '02, same idea but he was able to use his tow hitch.
P7020105.jpg

On a side note, I've been driving around with this flag for the past couple days now, and I've had next to no one wave or smile at me. I guess patriotism is not a universal thing...