amp bypass | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

amp bypass

Reaction score
City, State
Minnesota
Year, Model & Trim Level
1994 ford explorer
I have a 94 explorer 4 Dr. I need to bypass the factory amp. I do not have a factory sub. How to I go about bypassing the amp? Is there a wiring diagram that I need?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Do you NEED to by pass it, or do you just want to?
It's much easier to just incorporate the factory amp.

Use an amp bypass harness.

41aduQagr0L._SY300_.jpg

http://www.amazon.com/Metra-70-5513-Harness-Amplifier-Eliminator/dp/B00032C2EW

I'm putting in a aftermarket deck
Will the above work? Has anyone used it?

An aftermarket deck will work with the factory amp, so long as you connect the remote turn on lead.

I strongly advise against using that bypass wire.

An aftermarket deck will work with the factory amp, so long as you connect the remote turn on lead.

I strongly advise against using that bypass wire.

+1 on that. I have an aftermarket Kenwood HU, door speakers, and a sub. The factory amp works fine for me.

Well knowing that I will just try it like that with the stock amp. Thanks a lot!

Oddly enough, the factory amp puts out more watts than many low to mid end head units.

The amp bypass harness only sucks because it sends a high-level signal through the pre-amp low-level wires.

If you use an adapter and use the low-level preouts on an aftermarket head unit to connect to the factory amp, that works, but it's a bad idea to hook the speaker wires from the head unit to the factory amp as audio inputs.

The best solutions are either an aftermarket amp or just running new speaker wire from the head unit to the speakers.

Back