• Register Today It's free!

amp impedance

minime122

Reaction score
City, State
GA
Year, Model & Trim Level
'01 sport
I've got a question that im probably gonna feel stupid for asking but here it goes. Im purchasing a Rockford Fosgate P210S4 10 inch sub its power range is 50-200 watts RMS with its peak power being at 400 watts it has a 4 ohm impedance. I need to know what kind of amp to buy for this sub. Im going to use a mono subwoofer amp. All the ones i see are rated for 2 ohm impedance i know ill need the amp to be at least 200 watts but does the 4 ohm impedance mean that i need to find an amp that can put out 4 ohms?

yup, they must match.

Now your amp may be able to handle a 2ohm load but that doesnt mean it cant also handle a 4ohm load, it just wont be as powerful.

You see a 2ohm load on the amp just draws more power, forcing the amp to make more.
Now if you hook up a 2ohm speaker to a 4ohm stable amp = toast.

You can also wire two 4ohm speakers together to create a 2ohm load, thus usually doubling thepower output of the amp, so if you buy a 2ohm stable amp now you can upgrade later.

Most good amps on the market today are 2 ohm capable, some even lowed, 1/2 ohm WOW....

A good option for you then would be a 2 channel amp, most are bridgeable to 4 ohms mono - perfect for the single 4 sub.

Or dont rule out the 2 ohm stable amps, if you get a 2 ohm stable amp it will allow you headroom if you choose to add another sub or even upgrade to a dual 4 model etc. Just look for what you need @ 4 ohms.

Back