Amp Install in 97 Ford Explorer

VascoDaGama

Reaction score
City, State
Knightdale, North Carolina
Year, Model & Trim Level
1997 Ford Explorer XLT
Folks,

I'm having serious issues trying to find a way to breach the firewall on my 97 Ford explorer. Is there a way to get through the firewall without drilling a new hole? Also, is it necessary to run the power cable and speaker wires/RCA cable on different sides to eliminate that lovely "whining" sound when operational?

Any help you could provide with running 4 gauge power cable through the firewall would be greatly appreciated.

theres a rubber grommet over the break pedal on the firewall, thats where ive always run my +

its a good idea to run your power on the left and the RCA's from the head unit on the right.

Thanks for the information. I've seen that rubber grommet (I'm assuming you're speaking of the one which is removeable and exposes a metal screw). I'll find a way to remove that screw and run my cable.

I have another question: What's the best method for converting my 6x8 enclosures to accommodate 6 1/2 enclosures? I have a few MBQuarts that are 6 1/2 in circulars which I'd like to throw in.

you can build a small plate out of wood. 6x8 and mount the 6 1/2 into it. Ive done this with 5 1/4's. depends on how large the mounting diameter of the 6.5 your using will be.

Back