• Register Today It's free!

Amp install

XltRoger2003

Reaction score
City, State
Kingsport,TN
Year, Model & Trim Level
04 limited v8
Please correct me if I'm wrong,,I have read that the factory amp even tho it's a harness that you can connect rca jacks and use that as a input for your aftermarket amp instead of using a line level converter ,cause a aftermarket stereo adapter for connecting the factory amp is a rca plugs then splits open to the connector, ,..I'm wanting to keep factory hu and don't have any extra money at the moment, I can't find my line level input plug for my pioneer amp,it's a 2004 ex limited v8 with DVD and factory subwoofer

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

The factory remote line is 3v instead of the regular 12v everyone else uses. You will have to rig up a relay to get it to activate your aftermarket deck, unless it will trip at 3v. As for the speaker, yes they are low level to the factory amp, so all you should have to do is solder in some RCA connectors. I'm not sure about the ground though, if they have a speaker ground or use the same ground as everything else. Be careful if you are bridging and mucking around with grounds. Easy to blow an output.

I read if you wire the rcas in series that you don't have to worry about the ground, I'm pulling out the factory amp and subwoofer and mounting the amp behind that panel so if I have to remove the subs I'll just unplug them instead of removing amp too ,,I can always find a remote hookup for turning it on..I just didn't want to blow the inputs, ,,and thanks for the info Tech By Trade

Inputs should be fine, ground is ground. The metra kit uses chassis ground on the low level audio. Problem with bridging the output for mono is there is no zero v, the mid point voltage is zero, so if a speaker is using chassis ground it will fry your outputs or at least shut them down if they are protected. I didnt touch the amp or speaker wiring, but the reason I bring it up, is that a friend had an older ford, and the speakers used chassis ground. He tried bridging his pioneer deck and it fried the outputs. I did the opposite of you and put an aftermarket deck on the factory amp. It was a massive increase in audio quality.

I can't replace the deck yet that would be a couple of months away,,,my concern was just wiring rcas straight to the factory wires before the factory amp

Hello guys bought a aftermarket boss radio installed it myself now do I need any other harnesses or anything for the factory mach audio sub and amp to work? I noticed three harnesses I had to unplug from the back of the factory head unit prior to aftermarket install

If you are replacing the head unit in the future, I’d just wait. If you need to use the factory sub, if power it with a small, cheap aftermarket amp and cutout all the headaches. It be more powerful, you’d get crossover options and it’d all be ‘standard’

Thanks mbrooks yea I already replaced the head unit with a boss sounds good jus wanted to add some extra bass. When I bought it the terminal on the sub was busted so I never actually heard it "bump" I Kno everything works cause I touched the broken terminal to the sub and it made noise but I can its blown haven't really messed with it since. Now that I replaced with the boss a month ago it has me itching lol thanks again

I was referring to the original poster of the thread........
However I have the same advice for you. Replace the sub with a low volume sub, ditch the crappy factory amp, and run new RCA’s.

I'm going to add a pioneer amp and 2 10inch subs the head unit will be replaced when I get snuff money to buy it and a fold down monitor to replace factory DVD set up too

Okie dokie it's allllll done with a aftermarket amp and 2 10inch subs no line level converter used,factory head unit still used, it definitely sounds a lot better than factory subwoofer, like I said a new head unit and drop down monitor and better subs and amp will be getting in a couple of months

pics or it didnt happen ;)

Nobody seemed interested so it's all deleted

:laugh: Sounds tantrum-y.

It is just that mbrooks

Back