• Register Today It's free!

Amp Installation

Tomrose2

Reaction score
City, State
Ephrata, PA
Year, Model & Trim Level
2007 Ford Explorer
Hey everybody, I'm about to install an amp/sub in my 2007 Explorer and I'm wondering what the best route is to get thru the firewall? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I ran my power cable though a grommet on the firewall, it's been awhile so I can't remember exactly where.

If I had it to do all over again, I'd just open the factory sub enclosure, match the volume to an aftermarket sub, add my own discreet amp somewhere out of sight, hide the wires, and call it good. I'm getting too old to be heard 6 blocks away. The kids don't like most of the **** I listen to anyway.

I grew up in the 80's, and am a fan of everything from hit metal to outlaw country, classic rock, some classical thrown in, and some current day metal to wrap it all up. (there's too much music, and too little to time to waste *****ing about the **** we don't like...just pop in whatever tickles your ear... ;) )

Hey everybody, I'm about to install an amp/sub in my 2007 Explorer and I'm wondering what the best route is to get thru the firewall? Any help would be greatly appreciated.
On the driver side foot well, there is a large grommet that runs a ton of wires through it, it's right by the brake booster on the other side in the engine compartment, I just used that one, cut it with a knife a little bit then snaked the wire through, if you can't see it in the engine compartment, just get under your dash and look up and slightly to the left it should be right there.
Just be careful you don't cut any other wires of course.

Best advice for every vehicle is to follow the stock wiring. All vehicles have wiring that enters the cab. Follow it and you should never need to drill any holes are take unnecessary risks.

On the driver side foot well, there is a large grommet that runs a ton of wires through it, it's right by the brake booster on the other side in the engine compartment, I just used that one, cut it with a knife a little bit then snaked the wire through, if you can't see it in the engine compartment, just get under your dash and look up and slightly to the left it should be right there.
Just be careful you don't cut any other wires of course.
This is helpful will be doing a system install soon!

I went through the grommet on the passenger side of the firewall that two vacuum hoses pass through. Zip tied the cable to the cowl

i didnt do the firewall i ran oversized 4 gauge through a floor plug under where your left foot rests while driving but when i moved up to oversized 1/0 i ran it back to under the drivers side 2nd row seat and did a 1 1/8th hole saw and grommet.... the size of wire you choose will change up the game plan
07 sub.jpg

Dammm big enough amp and box lol
Couldn't have that here cops hear it one time

But very nice install clean
i didnt do the firewall i ran oversized 4 gauge through a floor plug under where your left foot rests while driving but when i moved up to oversized 1/0 i ran it back to under the drivers side 2nd row seat and did a 1 1/8th hole saw and grommet.... the size of wire you choose will change up the game planView attachment 330934

Dammm big enough amp and box lol
Couldn't have that here cops hear it one time

But very nice install clean
it wasn't that loud and just because you have it doesnt mean you play it 100% full time just about 2.351% of my music has loud bass

As others have stated use the big rubber grommet on the driver's side firewall. Use an awl to poke through at the top, be sure to check the inside so you are not to poke into any of the wiring. Get a small pvc pipe that the wire will fit through, grease it up with some silicone grease push the pipe through and feed the wire through. Then you will have a water tight sealed passthrough.

20211013_063913.jpg 20211013_063804.jpg

Back