amp power source: battery or "junction box"? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

amp power source: battery or "junction box"?

tbomb

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
Levittown, NY (Long Island)
Year, Model & Trim Level
98 Sport 4.0 SOHC 4x4
guys, im gonna be installing my sub and amp in about 2 weeks. previously, i didnt even think - i was just going to run the power cable to the positive terminal on the battery, BUT, i was thinking, maybe i should run the power wire to the "power distribution box", or "junction box", whatever you call it, under the hood.

traditionally, i know everyone runs the wire to the battery, including myself on my old truck, but wouldnt this be better? it would be easier than messing with those PITA cable ends and terminals on the battery, and look cleaner, etc.

just a thought, but i wanted to see what everyone thinks.

(for reference, im probably gonna run a 4 gage wire from under the hood to a distribution block in the back of the truck somewhere with some 8 gage wire to the amp - im planning on another amp later for the door speakers.)

thanks all.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I was going to do that same thing once i had the extra money. I wanted to do it because i have run out of places to hook wires on my battery terminal. The only problem i had was where was i going to hook the main wire that runs from the back of the explorer to the front. if i were you i would run a larger wire than 4 so you could use the block for something else too or put another battery where the back pocket is on the passenger side and use that to tap power from for the audio. and backup lights, remote nitrous bottle opener ha anything to a certain point. The bonus of that is you can listen to the music longer with the car off since there is more battery power. just my 2 cents Major

well, i dont really run anything else. just this amp, and another one when i get the money, and i might get a power convertor eventually. and i cant put an extra battery in that passenger side pocket because thats where my sub's going ;) (i wouldnt want an extra battery anyway, i dont really need it.)

Ahh ok good call if thats where a sub is. the power distribution deal would be pretty nice looking and the one wire would look alot better than the two snaked around the engine compartment. take some pictures if you get a chance i may redo my wiring if you like how it looks and works. sorry for the high dollar apprach my brain just got carried away and went into modification mode ha. Major

yeah, im planning on taking some pics. people are always asking how to remove the box from there, and how to install one, and how to hide the amps, and stuff like that, so i might do a writeup and put it in the projects forum.

The junction box would be fine...as I've used both (the junction box and battery terminal) without any problems.

I'd install a pretty good fuse block within 18" of the junction box (I always used streetwires, but any type would work.) Then run your cable on back and you shouldn't have any problems.

Randy

I want to get a distribution box because I am going to be hooking a set of lights soon and I already have an amp power wire and a power inverter wire hooked to the positive terminal. It doesnt look very clean and I am running out of room there. I want to have one big wire (about 1.5' long) come off the battery and run to a box and then connect my 3 power wires into that. My question is, why do you need a fuse block? The wire for the amp has an inline 40A fuse and the inverter wire has an inline 30A fuse and the lights have their own fuses in the wiring harness so everything is already fused. Maybe I'm confused as to what a fuse block does. Can someone explain it to me and what size wire I should use from the battery to the block. What would work best for my setup?

I have a kind of odd question about this, I had my 4 awg wire hooked up to my relay? you know the little thing of the passenger side of the engin compartment that has the clutch depressed sensor wire? I heard thats its ok but i also heard it could kill the relay, my relay happened to **** on me so. ANyone esle have this hooked up like me?

Back